rickjump1

WWII fighter pilot who flew THROUGH the Eiffel Tower to take down a German plane dies in Virginia aged 92

xsniper

***Wow. Hell of a dude.

+1 on that. We are losing our WWII vets at a very fast rate. We are. We are down to three where I live: one Merchant Mariner, a Sailor, and an Infantryman. Our "Battle of the Bulge" veteran died last summer. He had been wounded by the German Luftwaffe. He fought from D-Day to the end in Europe; only to worry about being shipped to the Pacific.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

. We are losing our WWII vets at a very fast rate.

Roughly 4500/day. Soon there will be no living memory of the war.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

stratostar

You know that dude is a badass, his has white walls on his P-51

Yeah, but I'll bet his crew chief handled the paint or procurement. A good crew chief kept that crate flying for this "badass" pilot. Imagine flying through the Eiffel Tower....wow.

Funny.... it's never the roadies out taking a bow and waving to the crowd... who's the star of the show, the guy out rolling and pimping the white walls on his P-51 and buzz job'n the E tower while blasting the other guy, don't get much more badass'er then that.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

stratostar

Funny.... it's never the roadies out taking a bow and waving to the crowd... who's the star of the show, the guy out rolling and pimping the white walls on his P-51 and buzz job'n the E tower while blasting the other guy, don't get much more badass'er then that.

That cool guy was so busy terrorizing the sky, he didn't have time to worry about nothing but chalking up kills. Glad he was on our side. And talk about pride, I'll bet his crew chief worked overtime on that bird.

Tink1717

. We are losing our WWII vets at a very fast rate.

Roughly 4500/day. Soon there will be no living memory of the war.

...and the history revisionists are salivating. Who knows, our hero may end up being a criminal after we are long gone. Scary thought.

...and the history revisionists are salivating. Who knows, our hero may end up being a criminal after we are long gone. Scary thought.

I didn't write that.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

BillyVance

***Sorry, Rickjump1. I'm so confused.
:S

The quotes got all fucked up somehow. It doesn't matter. This is all about the memory of that gutsy American pilot. I think we also need to mention the pilot of the aircraft he shot down. Most of those brave German pilots were not Nazis, and at that stage of the war, I bet they were probably wondering just how many fighters the allies could put up. They were in it to the end with no rotations, and they were fighting on two fronts. It would not be long before the allies had complete control of the sky.

rickjump1

******Sorry, Rickjump1. I'm so confused.
:S

The quotes got all fucked up somehow. It doesn't matter. This is all about the memory of that gutsy American pilot. I think we also need to mention the pilot of the aircraft he shot down. Most of those brave German pilots were not Nazis, and at that stage of the war, I bet they were probably wondering just how many fighters the allies could put up. They were in it to the end with no rotations, and they were fighting on two fronts. It would not be long before the allies had complete control of the sky.

Indeed

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome