donovan

The lifespan of a canopy?

Can anyone tell me how many jumps can be be done on a stiletto 135 if it is well looked after. That is packed indoors, always stored packed and jumped by a person who weighs 150lbs and the lines have been changed every 500jumps or so. I know it would be give or take hundreds of jumps. Just a rough idea?

Can anyone tell me how many jumps can be be done on a stiletto 135 if it is well looked after. That is packed indoors, always stored packed and jumped by a person who weighs 150lbs and the lines have been changed every 500jumps or so. I know it would be give or take hundreds of jumps. Just a rough idea?

All things being equal, if the above is true and correct 1500-2000...... or so.

Hey you asked!

Mick.

Yes, I seem to recall a thread a few years back about a Sabre that PD was re-lining for free just to see how many jumps it could get on the original canopy fabric. My memory is bad but I think back then it already had upwards of 20,000 jumps on it. If anybody cared enough, I bet an e-mail to PDs customer service would yield an answer. Maybe that canopy is still in service?????????
alan

It seems that people put to much weight into jumps numbers on a canopy. Poorly treated canopies (or canopies that are simply in tough environments such as regular beach jumps) with 500 jumps can be in worse shape than one with 3000. Exposure to the elements is a huge factor in determining wear and potential "life-span" of a canopy. This includes above mentioned items like being packed inside (avoiding sundamange and wear), but also factors like climate. If you jump in a desert environment for example, it's going to have a sandpaper effect on your gear. If you have concerns about a canopy's strength you can always get it pull tested by a rigger or the factory.

If the canopy strength is okay (knowing thatZP remains ZP for it's lif) have a line set that is in good condition and trip should keep the performance of the canopy perfectly acceptable for the average jumper.

ben liston
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!