gowlerk

Fall rate demonstration

councilman24

It was better watching them do it on the moon.;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C5_dOEyAfk

But what does this have to do with skydiving?

Ah, but it does! My AFF instructors had a devil of a time keeping up with me, especially once I learned to arch. I was like "But... But... Galileo!" I hadn't thought about terminal velocity all that much prior to that point, but I can't fall as slowly as my floaty-pants AFF instructors because of wind resistance and surface to mass ratio and all that. I'm a bowling ball, they're a feather.

If we went skydiving on the moon, it would be different. But if we went skydiving on the moon, our parachutes wouldn't do much good anyway.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

councilman24

It was better watching them do it on the moon.;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C5_dOEyAfk

But what does this have to do with skydiving?

Nothing much! But you are right it was better. The hammer falling so slowly was cool.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Cause there are still dumbass tandem students who thinks they know physics and they go and claim everything falls the at the same speed why do those cameramen needs camera wing.

I've heard that multiple times, from fully grown men and women.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

stayhigh

Cause there are still dumbass tandem students who thinks they know physics and they go and claim everything falls the at the same speed why do those cameramen needs camera wing.

Me too.
But we live in a country where 26% of the people think the Sun circles the Earth. To expect a high level of scientific literacy in the USA is to be disappointed. [:/]

JohnMitchell

***Cause there are still dumbass tandem students who thinks they know physics and they go and claim everything falls the at the same speed why do those cameramen needs camera wing.

Me too.
But we live in a country where 26% of the people think the Sun circles the Earth. To expect a high level of scientific literacy in the USA is to be disappointed. [:/]

Uhm, like when they ask how high does the parachute pull you up when you open....
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

stayhigh

I once got into an argument of sorts with a guy who said all skydivers fall at 78 km/h max and he could prove it.

I just went and did a 200 km/h skydive after that :P

ciel bleu,
Saskia

gowlerk

I'd never heard of that giant vacuum chamber before, it's incredible! One thing though, instead of showing off how gorgeous their super slomo HD camera is in every shot I wish they'd shown at least one full take at normal speed.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

stayhigh

I once had an argument about it with a professional tandem cameraman. He was adamant that light people shouldn't need to wear lead because 'according to physics' it didn't make a difference. He knew that surface area made a difference but couldn't accept that weight was part of the puzzle. I explained the formulas, gave him examples and he saw it happen every day in front of his face, but he'd already made up his mind and it wasn't changing.

The human brain is an incredible thing:P
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

One thing though, instead of showing off how gorgeous their super slomo HD camera is in every shot I wish they'd shown at least one full take at normal speed.

Very good point, because some will take away that things fall slowly in a vacuum.

And no amount of discussion will ever convince them otherwise. [:/]