wmw999

iPhone IOS 8.1.2

SUCKS. But at least my husband won't install it now.

The worst so far is that as I type a longer post on dz.com, the box doesn't scroll and keep my typing visible automatically any more. If that's a "poor programming practice" that's no longer supported, then it's still stupid

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

My beef with iOS 8.* was that it made my iPad 2 dramatically slower.>:(
I haven't noticed any issues with the iPhone 5, but I use the iPad a *lot* more.

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

wmw999

SUCKS. But at least my husband won't install it now.

The worst so far is that as I type a longer post on dz.com, the box doesn't scroll and keep my typing visible automatically any more. If that's a "poor programming practice" that's no longer supported, then it's still stupid

Wendy P.

My Blackberry Q10 also doesn't scroll when I type longer messages like you said.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

wmw999

Battery life has taken a nosedive, as well >:(

About that. App developers KNOW that the vast majority of users will never change any of the default settings for their programs. Users "just can't be bothered." They take advantage of that by turning on all sorts of stuff that makes them look great (and maybe generating them extra coin on the side) without regard to your battery life.

TAKE BACK CONTROL.

Go into your settings and do things like turn off "background app refresh" for apps you don't really need constantly pinging servers. If you don't NEED CNN to constantly check and update itself so when you open it, it can instantly show you stories, then it doesn't need to have background app refresh turned on.

Do the same thing with location services and privacy.

Just doing this will save you a very large amount of energy.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I like to play solitaire games, I just don't want to buy one.
I just removed a freebie because of almost constant nag messages about cell data being turned off for the game.
duh.
It's solitaire.
:S:S:S

Quade's right, I'd google iPhone battery savings settings, it's easy and it does make an improvement.

Will do. Of course, it was set that way before I upgraded it, but I guess they decided that the power settings needed to change, just as they decided that even though I said no, I actually did need iCloud ;)

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

BTW After *every* update, iOS *always* enables Bluetooth, so I must always turn it back off yet again.>:(
That is a waste of power if you don't need it.

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

BTW After *every* update, iOS *always* enables Bluetooth, so I must always turn it back off yet again.>:(
That is a waste of power if you don't need it.

That said, the newer Bluetooth units (aka Bluetooth 4, Bluetooth LE) in the 6 and 6+ are exceptionally good at not using power unless absolutely required. I don't find them to be odious and leave mine on all the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_low_energy
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Also, if you have an iPhone 5 and battery issues you should know about this:

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone5-battery/

I recently had my battery replaced at no charge under this program.

It would be generous to describe what I was experiencing, though, as "poor battery life performance." I would have described it as "The battery percentage indicator generated random numbers until my phone shut down and demanded to be plugged in."