DeeBeeGee

Inflatable ‘space elevator’ - new jump platform

quade

Pretty sure you can discount the "space elevator" out of hand. At least in our lifetimes.

Yeah, I fail to see how such a tall structure can remain upright without guy wires or hold up to the immense pressures on the joints from the winds. Just looks too flimsy.

I think this thing has as much chance of happening in our lifetime as the chance of the US Navy getting a flying aircraft carrier like you see in The Avengers. :S:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

Yeah, I fail to see how such a tall structure can remain upright without guy wires or hold up to the immense pressures on the joints from the winds. Just looks too flimsy.

The article mentions the use of flywheels to keep it upright; the idea is an active balance more like a tightrope walker or gymnast on a balance beam than a tied down tower.

Sounds cool, but I have no idea how practical the design is.
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

I think this thing has as much chance of happening in our lifetime as the chance of the US Navy getting a flying aircraft carrier like you see in The Avengers. :S:D

Saddam ya mean?
The US Navy operated flying aircraft carriers back during the 1930s. The airships Akron and Macon carried Curtiss Sparrowhawk scout planes. Scout planes were launched and retrieved via a trapeze hanging under the airships. Sadly, the airships were too fragile and broke up
In thunderstorms.

riggerrob

Saddam ya mean?
The US Navy operated flying aircraft carriers back during the 1930s. The airships Akron and Macon carried Curtiss Sparrowhawk scout planes. Scout planes were launched and retrieved via a trapeze hanging under the airships. Sadly, the airships were too fragile and broke up
In thunderstorms.

I was talking about this... http://techsabes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/DARPA-..png
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

The clip I saw, they didn't really elaborate on the how of it. But let's think, inflatable elevator? The deal killer on the space elevator is structural. No material strong enough/light enough. But this idea is less ambitious. The word that stands out to me is inflatable. What if you were looking at a tethered balloon? You can do balloons with substantial payloads to 60,000 ft. No one has ever tried to tether one. 60,000 ft of cable strong enough to hold it is heave. But what if it wasn't one balloon but many. A string of balloons? Like a string of Perls each supporting the weight of the cable beneath it. extend that idea to an almost continuous series of balloons along the length of the cable, self supporting it's own weight. An "inflatable" elevator cable? Still lot's of strain, wind loads, etc. I think I'd just use a hand full of periodic balloons along the length of the cable. The cable would get heavier towards the bottom not towards the top like a "space" elevator. And the balloons toward to bottom would have much better lift for their size then the upper ones. What does this buy you? It does get you above a good bit of the thick air. Even if it was just to 18,000 ft you would be above half of it. If you can lift a decent size rocket, it is much easier to launch it from a high altitude balloon. Their is a precedent. Some of the early sounding rockets were launched from balloons. It was a navy program back in the... 50's? Van Allen was part of it. It's how they did the early high altitude studies letting them get their instruments higher then they could with a balloon.

Practicality? how much wind drag can you tolerate. How strong is your balloon. It would have to be a lot more then a flimsy plastic envelope. It has to be big enough to hold the section of cable beneath it and to support the payload of the rocket or what ever. The strength of the cable depends on the wind load and the payload. Now add the wind loads progressively on down for each balloon and you have an idea of the progressive strength/weight of each cable. Not saying it would work. Might not get to 60,000 feet but the idea is not as totally rediculas as the space elevator. I don't think you could get enough payload for even a small orbital rocket. Even just the upper stage is still pretty heavy. Honestly if you were trying to do some thing that small I think you would be closer to dropping it with a large jet. High altitude launch is more practical then this. Still interesting thought experiment.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com