BillyVance

How to cook a steak

Nice I did a couple in the cast iron skillet Monday. Heated it up to 500 degrees. Then put the skillet on the gas stove for another 5 minutes on high to get it really F'n hot. Seared each side for 45 seconds then back in the oven for 2 minutes each side. Came out perfect. The only seasonings were kosher salt and black pepper.

I have also had good luck heating them in the sous vide at 125 for an hour or two and then seared in the HOT skillet.

I always use bone in rib eyes
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

Rick

I have also had good luck heating them in the sous vide at 125 for an hour or two and then seared in the HOT skillet.

I always use bone in rib eyes

I did these at 134 or 135 for a couple hours and then did the hot skillet searing. Only large ground sea salt and pepper, and they were quite good, even though I was a little stingy with the salt and pepper per my girlfriends request to take it easy on the seasoning (this time).
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Sous-vide (/suːˈviːd/; French for "under vacuum") is a method of cooking in which food is sealed in airtight plastic bags then placed in a water bath or in a temperature-controlled steam environment for longer than normal cooking times—96 hours or more, in some cases—at an accurately regulated temperature much lower than normally used for cooking, typically around 55 °C (131 °F) to 60 °C (140 °F) for meat and higher for vegetables. The intent is to cook the item evenly, ensuring that the inside is properly cooked without overcooking the outside, and retain moisture.

Magic.
No better way to do proper scallops for starters.
I'm not a fan of sous vide steaks, yet.
I still prefer a crispy serious Pittsburgh sear on both sides directly over good lump charcoal or hardwood, then 20-20 minutes on the indirect side of the grill, depending on the thickness (that's what she said).

normiss

If you've eaten at a decently high-end restaurant, you've had sous vide.
It's pretty cool to cook something and be able to hold it at that temp for 3 days awaiting the customer to order it so it can be finished cooking in minutes.

I've definitely had sous vide edibles. It's pretty damn good, but not something I'm in to.

JohnnyMarko

***If you've eaten at a decently high-end restaurant, you've had sous vide.
It's pretty cool to cook something and be able to hold it at that temp for 3 days awaiting the customer to order it so it can be finished cooking in minutes.

I've definitely had sous vide edibles. It's pretty damn good, but not something I'm in to.

It's easy to do and doesn't require much work, so it works for me! :D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

theonlyski

******If you've eaten at a decently high-end restaurant, you've had sous vide.

It's easy to do and doesn't require much work, so it works for me! :D

I concur you can cook some excellent pork tenderloin in the sous vide
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!