skydude2000

Work Problem

Hi Everybody,

Looking for some feedback/advice from the DZ.com masses.

So I've been working for the same non-profit government organization on contract for the last 7 years. They created 3 permanent, full time positions last year after I questioned the new CEO about why long-term, full time staff are still on a contract basis and can't be offered permanent positions with the company.

I was asked and took one of these positions after my managers assured me I'd be in the exact same role with the same responsibilities.
There was a fair bit of backlash & bitterness from the other long-term contract staff, that I was chosen, and they weren't.

One of the other positions was also given to someone from outside the company, so that didn't help.

Fast forward a year later, now they're promoting that person to our manager after less than a year with the company, and completely changing my role without asking me. "We want you to start doing this, because this person is moving to another department".

No discussion about salary, negotiation, nothing. The biggest drawback is, I normally speak 2 languages in my role, which is why I got and took the job in the first place. Now that's no longer necessary.

I feel like this is a bit of a dick move from the company, and a waste of my knowledge and skills. They've asked me to keep an open mind and try it for 6 months, but no real discussion about what happens if I decide I hate it.

I REALLY don't want to leave, the company has great benefits, vacation time, and a pension, but I also know I can't spend the next 30 years of my career, doing something I hate everyday.

Any suggestions about how I can handle this tactfully without jeopardizing my career?

Thanks folks!
PULL!! or DIE!!

I'd give it the six months for sure; if nothing else, it gives you time to investigate the job market in an organized, unhurried manner. You might find that you have the flexibility to add tasks that make the job worthwhile, or you may not. And if you can't, then you'll be ready for a job hunt. In that time, make sure you do all the marketable tasks you can.

The company is motivated by its own perception of its self-interest (just as nearly every person is). The fact that you disagree with their assessment matters as much as the fact that parents sometimes don't approve of one's skydiving... At least until it's your company, or until you're in a position such that you help drive what constitutes self-interest.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

The company is motivated by its own perception of its self-interest (just as nearly every person is). The fact that you disagree with their assessment matters as much as the fact that parents sometimes don't approve of one's skydiving... At least until it's your company, or until you're in a position such that you help drive what constitutes self-interest.

Or more bluntly, the guy who runs the company is the guy who runs the company. He does so for his own interests not yours.

I notice you called the company a non-profit. Non-profit has an altruistic connotation, but it makes no difference really, the guys at the top are still running it for their own benefit, take home a paycheck, and will maneuver to ensure they continue to do so.

I realize this all might sound cynical, but it's just reality. We're all just cogs in a machine.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

***The company is motivated by its own perception of its self-interest (just as nearly every person is). The fact that you disagree with their assessment matters as much as the fact that parents sometimes don't approve of one's skydiving... At least until it's your company, or until you're in a position such that you help drive what constitutes self-interest.

Or more bluntly, the guy who runs the company is the guy who runs the company. He does so for his own interests not yours.

I notice you called the company a non-profit. Non-profit has an altruistic connotation, but it makes no difference really, the guys at the top are still running it for their own benefit, take home a paycheck, and will maneuver to ensure they continue to do so.

I realize this all might sound cynical, but it's just reality. We're all just cogs in a machine.

You sound different here than in SC.:D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

quade

"Mongo just pawn in game of life."
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Sounds like you've had a pretty good run so far, which is a lot more than a lot of people get...

I would take it as a good sign that they are including you in their "vision of change" as opposed to looking to recruit new staff... Perhaps you would have felt better had they consulted you about it but ultimately they are not required to do you this kindness.

I say give it an honest go... If after 6 months you feel like your responsibilities have increased, consider having a chat with the bosses and arguing that your salary should match your new role... If you find it's the opposite, approach them about your eagerness to do more. Either way, change is a reality of any business. An unwillingness to adapt (perceived or real) doesn't go down very well with upper management... Also, periods of change are often where management notices or decides who is loyal just before they axe a bunch of people... Just sayin'... :|

Do your best and keep an open mind (and an eye on the market). You might just find the change suits you :)

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss