Amazon

Beam me the hell up

IXS Enterprise

I would be willing to go in a heartbeat on the first crew... just to get me away from all these non-STEM types.

NASA engineer and physicist Harold White announced a few years ago that he was working on a potentially groundbreaking idea that could allow space travel faster than the speed of light. Yes, like in “Star Trek.”

And now, to boldly go where no designer has gone before, Mark Rademaker — who is collaborating with White — has created a CGI design concept for the “warp ship.” They’re calling it the IXS Enterprise.

“We wanted to have a decent image of a theory conforming Warp ship to motivate young people to pursue a STEM career,” Rademaker said in an e-mail interview. “It does have some Sci-Fi features that might never transfer to a possible final design, unless we really want to.”

A warp ship such as the IXS Enterprise could allow travel to interstellar space in a matter of weeks rather than, say, centuries. And the science behind why it might be possible is truly mind-boggling.

why? We have wireless communications that are instant traveling the speed of light and data approaching that why would we not believe it possible for ourselves to be able to harness that ability as well?

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

catfishhunter

why? We have wireless communications that are instant traveling the speed of light and data approaching that why would we not believe it possible for ourselves to be able to harness that ability as well?

Because we have mass. There's not enough energy at our disposal to get going that fast, much less the ability to harness it. Maybe sometime in the distant future, when we understand the relationship between relativity and quantum physics, we could start thinking about "warping space-time". But, I do think it's possible that some brilliantly insightful revelation could occur at any time.

But my comment was really about the (IMO) ridiculous "model" of what a vehicle with such capabilities "might" look like (based on what?). It also might look like a 1948 Henry J that would move through hyper-space by sucking in large amounts of purple drank and farting cherry blossoms and moonbeams.

headoverheels

***Looks like someone's pipe dream ....and by "pipe" I mean "bong".

Well "pipe dream" means opium.

A case of what my old boss would call "mental masturbation."

Yeah, that's why I specified "bong" rather than pipe. ...that causes more late night conversations about life, the universe and uh, ...everything.