virgin-burner

FPV Quad Racing

this video went viral last year, there was the World Drone Prix in Dubai on Skydive Dubai grounds with a prize money of ONE MILLION DOLLAH$, which was won by 15yrs old Luke Bannister from the UK. lucky little fellah took 250'000$ in cash home.

If you're too scared to do some WS-BASE, this is the next best thing to it. it's really a geek sport that combines various elements and skills needed, you get to build and solder and tinker with stuff, plus you hang out with friends in nature, kinda playing a virtual game in reality. it's so fucking cool and addictive!

several organisations have sprung to establish this as a mass sport, but the layout for such events that are geared towards live spectators hasnt been satisfying yet. technology is lacking, but there are efforts in the works so viewers can connect more easily. as of now, only analog videosignals can be used as they're almost lag-free compared to HD-signals.
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I get it on a certain level.

I don't see how it can ever be popular on as wide of a scale as say, NASCAR.

Here's my problem as I see it, the story of racing, any racing from 100 yard dash to chariot to NASCAR (which is the modern equivalent of chariot racing) is, "who will survive?" I don't mean that as simply a metaphor either. It's like Og the caveman watching a lion chase down an antelope or, Og watching Nugnug getting chased by a lion. Will the antelope or Nugnug "win" by being the fastest and therefore surviving the chase?

I truly believe that is the primal instinct of what is going on in the heads of viewers. I believe it's hardwired into our heads. It's anthropological.

Did you ever see the film "Real Steel"?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0433035/

In it, robots fight like the old "Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_%27Em_Sock_%27Em_Robots

One of my huge issues with the film was this horrible feeling of, so what? If one of the robots is knocked out and dies a horrible "death", who cares? It might be spectacular, and I'll admit I've watched more than a few episodes of, "Battle Bots" but ultimately there is no risk involved. If a robot "dies" nothing happens.

I had the same issue with "Pacific Rim."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Rim_(film)

So, yeah, I can see myself watching a few drone races because I'm a huge robot geek, but I can't see the majority of people ever caring at all.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

people watch football and soccer too! :P

"drones" are very popular. there's a few guys like mr. steele and charpu which have their youtoube-show, which became "poster-boys" for the sport. there's also the The Drone Racing League, which uses standartized quads, their events are not live but heavily edited. the owner of the miami dolphins has also invested lots of money into this.

it's gotten quite some tv-coverage here over the last few weeks, curious as to see how it develops! :)

-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

virgin-burner

people watch football and soccer too! :P

Which have their own primal stories of war, in the case of American football and . . . and . . . okay, I'm going to admit I have no fucking clue why people watch soccer. ;)

However, in both cases, it's still about the human aspect.

Yes, drone racing will be interesting to a certain extent and watched by nerds like you and me in much the same way we might watch the skydiving Nationals. That said, skydiving hasn't exactly had it's day in the sun as far as the general public goes because (at least in my opinion), the general public has nothing they can relate to in watching it. It's a completely unnatural act for which they have no frame of reference.

Contrast and compare to car racing. Almost everybody has driven or has been driven. People can understand it on a primal level. Almost everyone has run in some sort of race, at the very least on a school playground.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

virgin-burner

it's a whole lot of fun! everyone can do it! it's phenomenal!

Im addicted as hell to drones, way more than skydiving or base jumping. you can learn so much from multirotors it is unreal. we have a big group of skydivers down in Clewiston that flies after the jumping day is over. loads of fun and props are cheap!!!! my hands still get sweaty and my pulse gets elevated. it has been a while since ive experienced this outside of base. so for me its a win/win. I still get to get my heart racing but don't have to take the risk involved with ws base.
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

Storm Type-A?

He's been flying an Alien-Frame with lumenier motors, KISS FC and ESC's on that video, same setup as dubai. these are not RTF-quads but have to be built by yourself.

if you're looking for RTF, the TBS Vendetta has been THE rave lately.
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda