soarfree

Canopy 360 spin on opening

I'll describe this as best as possible - I'm pretty new around here!

I jumped a sabre 2 170 with approximately 30 jumps on it yesterday. First jumps on my new-to-me rig.

I had soft openings, but the first 2 openings (1 packed by a rigger, one by a packer) were unusual to me. As the chute began to open I was spun 360 rapidly and finished on heading. I did not see any line twists and have had them before and this did not seem like that.

Since the chute was just opening I did not have the slider stowed or the toggles out. Once the chute fully opened I has no problems (no end cell closures, no line twists).

The third pack of the day was done by myself and an experienced jumper, the nose was not rolled at all which resulted in a soft opening on heading without the spins.

Anyone know what might cause these spins or what I might do to try to avoid them in the future?

Thanks!

Well behaved women rarely make history - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

bad body position... :P

It's the standard excuse for all off-heading openings, but it is usually correct. The first 3-4 times I jumped a Sabre 2 210 I had that happen. I can attribute it to the fact I was tense because it was a "new-to-me" canopy and the first couple of jumps after my A license.

I jump a Sabre 2 190 now and have had no problems. I would give you some suggestions but the skygods would flip out since of course I can't possibly know anything about skydiving at 40 jumps. :P
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Do a search for sabre2 opening. Lots of people (including myself) have had similar problems with the sabre2. Mine doesn't usually turn 360 degrees, but it almost always turns between 90 and 180 degrees. Mine is always straight during the snivel. And right when I'm saying to myself "ahh, finally an on heading opening," it suddenly picks a direction and turns. Occasionally gives me line twists, but not very often.

Someone mentioned to keep your legs together during the opening. That's had no effect for me. Only thing I can think of is that my leg straps might not be equally tight. The left one tends to slip a little in the plane.

Edit: Openings aren't THAT bad... and I LOVE the landings.

Dave

Mine is always straight during the snivel. And right when I'm saying to myself "ahh, finally an on heading opening," it suddenly picks a direction and turns

yeap, what he said.
still, i love the way it flies...
O
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

I had soft openings, but the first 2 openings (1 packed by a rigger, one by a packer) were unusual to me. As the chute began to open I was spun 360 rapidly and finished on heading. I did not see any line twists and have had them before and this did not seem like that.

I have demoed a Sabre2 for some 10 jumps while I flew a Stiletto at the time. I found the Stiletto openings more reliable than the Sabre2 openings.

Anyone know what might cause these spins

Search for 'Sabre2 openings' in the forums and you'll get lots of hits. this one made me smile :)

or what I might do to try to avoid them in the future?

Purchase a Safire?

If you have the chance demo an Aerodyne Pilot. I orderd a Pliot after i jumped it, i tried different sizes and all of them where great. The pilot has the best onheading and soft openings.

------------------------------------------------
NIL VOLENTIBUS ARDUUM.
(nothing is difficult for those who really want it)

If you have the chance demo an Aerodyne Pilot. I orderd a Pliot after i jumped it, i tried different sizes and all of them where great. The pilot has the best onheading and soft openings.

I third this... I demo'd both a pilot and a sabre2. Same issue with the sabre2. Right at the end... like a butterfly caught in a semi's turbulence.

I don't have the issue with my New Pilot or my old (original) Sabre with the slider mod. They both open slow, steady and on heading whether I am on my belly or in a full track--with no special packing tricks --no extra concentration on body position at deployment.