BillyVance

Discovery Channel's Alaskan Bush People show

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/alaskan-bush-people/about-the-show/about-the-show.htm

I was flipping channels last night and happened upon this show and having not seen anything like it before, decided to watch. Mildly entertaining, but just how much of it is bullshit? A family of 9 that sleeps together in a 1 room cabin in the deeeeeep bush hundreds of miles from civilization? Including sons as old as 30?

:S
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

The only "Alaskan "reality show that is truthful would be the Alaskan State Troopers.
Even Deadliest Catch has gotten into making drama instead of just shooting what's really there. But we still love all those guys !!!lol
No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

promise5

The only "Alaskan "reality show that is truthful would be the Alaskan State Troopers.
Even Deadliest Catch has gotten into making drama instead of just shooting what's really there. But we still love all those guys !!!lol

Oh, the AST show where they dubbed someone else's voice over yours?:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

What a load of crap.

I can see why they have so many kids, but seriously, were they all born in that same room as well? And the last kid, was conceived with 6 other kids in the "same" room....

[:/][:/][:/][:/][:/]

You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

promise5

Noooo lol it's not dubbed. You just don't see the person off camera that's talking. :P:P My lips aren't moving.

Wait, what??

Which episode are you on? :)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

potatoman

What a load of crap.

I can see why they have so many kids, but seriously, were they all born in that same room as well? And the last kid, was conceived with 6 other kids in the "same" room....

[:/][:/][:/][:/][:/]

No, the parents snuck out in the middle of the night and did the deed in the out house.

Super outhouse blumpkin! That might be even more heinous than a porta blumpkin! :|
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

DougH

No, the parents snuck out in the middle of the night and did the deed in the out house.

Super outhouse blumpkin! That might be even more heinous than a porta blumpkin! :|

Depends if it's hot outside or not.:|
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Actually they each have their own homes. No, they don't live in a single room house. When Otto and Atz Lee have referenced this, they are referring to the time when they were little and coming up. Eve,Atz Lee's wife just had their first child, he's the 4th generation of Kilcher's to be born there and I reckon he'll carry on with the Kilcher family tradition, live there, hunt there, so on and so forth. They are a tight knit family unit. I wouldn't want to live "Off of the grid" like they do, but hey diffrent' strokes for diffrent' folks!

Best-
Richard

rwieder

The topic is Alaskan Bush People......Right?? Not Alaskan Troopers? Right?? Some one besides me is confused pard, either that or I can't read the topic correctly!?!? So you try again. :P

You are thinking of the show about the Kilcher? homesteaders.

There is now another show, which I think looks really shitty, about another family who was squatting on public land in some shit cabin. The state burnt down their house, and now they are moving further in to the bush.

That is the show which was mentioned by the OP.

Good day Sir. :ph34r:
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

rwieder

The topic is Alaskan Bush People......Right?? Not Alaskan Troopers? Right?? Some one besides me is confused pard, either that or I can't read the topic correctly!?!? So you try again. :P

Two different shows on The Discovery Channel:

"Alaskan Bush People": http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/alaskan-bush-people

"Alaska: The Last Frontier": http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/alaska-the-last-frontier
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

You are thinking of the show about the Kilcher? homesteaders.

Yup, your right, and I'm an idiot! But then again how many reality shows can one possibly come up with involving Alaska?? It reminds me of Sara Palin proclaiming "I can see Russia from my back yard!"

There is now another show, which I think looks really shitty, about another family who was squatting on public land in some shit cabin. The state burnt down their house, and now they are moving further in to the bush. That is the show which was mentioned by the OP. Good day Sir. :ph34r:

Yep, I'm all knowed up now. I seen them hill billys last night on TV. Absolutely could not believe it, or maybe I'm in denial? Or maybe I just don't want to believe it? I don't know anymore!! My wife got a charge out of it, I was thinking "REALLY?" This is a long way from the sitcom I used to watch "Gentle Ben" w/ Ron Howard's little brother Clint in it when I was a kiddo.

Best-
Richard

BillyVance

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/alaskan-bush-people/about-the-show/about-the-show.htm

I was flipping channels last night and happened upon this show and having not seen anything like it before, decided to watch. Mildly entertaining, but just how much of it is bullshit? A family of 9 that sleeps together in a 1 room cabin in the deeeeeep bush hundreds of miles from civilization? Including sons as old as 30?

:S

True story:

In 1983 while living in Alaska, my then husband (deceased), our 2 year old son & I had a very unique opportunity to stay a few weeks with a family living in "The Bush", near Glennallen, AK.

Though they were not a family of 9, they were a family of 4 living in a very small 1 room log cabin, with no running water-plumbing, electricity & only a small wood stove to heat & cook.

They had contracted us to do drywall / finishing in a large 2 story log cabin with modern civilization updates.

'Dan'was a bush pilot, who took off daily with his Cessna float plane from their nearby lake.

He is now with the FAA / FAAST, in AK.

'Patti' was the most upbeat woman I've ever met.

Their 2 children were happy & content.

My 2 year old son celebrated his 2nd birthday there.

'Patti' baked a "made from scratch" cake in their wood stove oven, their 2 kids wrapped a couple of their toys in the Sunday comics & we had a party sitting on tree stumps with moose drinking in a stream in their back yard.

It was nothing to see a plane landing on the Glennallen Highway & neighbors getting together to help work on their cabin, with women bringing in the food, men at work & kids playing in the dirt for entertainment !

They lived near grizzly mating grounds & so the older kids kept younger ones near them always...though they didn't seem fazed by the reminder it was 'mating season' !

The "Billman's" & that experience was of the best, of the best, I've ever known :)
So thinking some of these docudramas do re-enact some details of factual living circumstances, though no doubt much of it is scripted & over embellished !

The most fascinating story I've seen on living in the AK wilderness was the story of Dick Proenneke, who spent several decades living alone.

Here is a clip from it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss

Background: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Proenneke