drdiesel

Bridge Day 2016 First Jump Courses

See site:
http://officialbridgeday.com/base/training/

This year 2 courses will be offered.

Twin Falls BASE Co. will provide a BRIDGE DAY ONLY 1 day FJC, geared towards those with a B-License and >50 skydives. Those interested must understand that the 1 day training is not enough instruction to start hitting up your local objects. Following the course and event, if they would still like to pursue BASE jumping there are a number of Instructors putting on courses at The Perrine Bridge throughout the year. Ideally, those that plan to attend a full FJC, should have >200 skydives.
http://twinfallsbase.com/bridgeday

Johnny Utah is putting on a full FJC, covering 3 days. This is a comprehensive course covering all fundamentals of BASE jumping.
http://johnnyutah.com/basecourse.html
---------------------
Twin Falls BASE Co.
208-423-8080
www.twinfallsbase.com

Really appreciate 1st jump course being offered at BD. This event tends to attract 1st time jumpers from that area. My personal feeling is this is a horrible place to learn to BASE at. Sketchy exit, big trees, railroad tracks, fast water, big boulders and an under the gun short window. It's not that much more to travel out to your neighborhood and do it right at the ONLY bridge that invites BASE jumpers without exploiting them. Just my .02 worth....

Ok 876 foot arch with water rescue on sight? Full gear check prior jumping and 3 points of great pics being snapped if I recall correctly? Look I worked a slot as gear checker with a crew of jumpers for 2 hours controlling precheck to exit and there was a ton of first timers and vets. We sent the vets off fast and they managed up to 6 in 1 day. The first timerers still had a ball and felt safe knowing the vets had checked them. Look everyone goes once for the first time. The bridge was my first base and video jump....yep both! Don't be a hater. I worked after 2001 and the presence was there but still not a problem for any upstanding normal person. What you've never been printed? You may want to get over it, ga required it just for a drivers in the 90s. Go jump the bridge it's a ball!

Typical. I point out a few facts and make a suggestion to go to a place much more conducive to learning and suddenly I'm a hater. BD used to be a really fun event. After the local LEO's and the Holiday Inn staff and the BD commission decided that the jumpers were nothing more than a once a year opportunity to exploit them for anything and everything they could, it's changed. Worth the price of admission? That's a personal choice. I can't support an organization that does anything like that. You want to? Be my guest. Let's just not mislead anyone that hasn't been there. Being ID'd is 1 thing. Showing up to an event and being targeted as an accused criminal is another.

Re: [jumpervali] Bridge Day 2016 First Jump Courses - NEW [In reply to] Quote | Reply | Report Spam
Typical. I point out a few facts and make a suggestion to go to a place much more conducive to learning and suddenly I'm a hater. BD used to be a really fun event. After the local LEO's and the Holiday Inn staff and the BD commission decided that the jumpers were nothing more than a once a year opportunity to exploit them for anything and everything they could, it's changed. Worth the price of admission? That's a personal choice. I can't support an organization that does anything like that. You want to? Be my guest. Let's just not mislead anyone that hasn't been there. Being ID'd is 1 thing. Showing up to an event and being targeted as an accused criminal is another.

A criminal? Dude it's a national landmark and we have a chance to jump it. It's a huge festival spanning bikers to Amish. No it's not in the spirit of finding a spot like Carl and moving on it in the dark of night. Those days are few and far between. Earl r. Told me years ago before his death just keep your shoulders square on exit and fly the canopy.

A little story I had a pack after he'd passed. unsealed and returned to his family. I was on an unnamed bridge 230 feet from the diet coke I'd tossed and intended to pick up after. I'd pealed the pack open and saw his maticulas packing and opted to reseal it. At 230 feet I exited 3rd in our load of 5. It was bandit and felt good but still just a bridge jump. I had a great mentor and I'll always miss him. Seeing him smoke it from a formation and schooting peace sings are my memories. He was very smart and very peaseful. Live and let jump. It's a huge moment for anyone!

Enjoyed yer story, I have no idea about how it relates to my point. BD has evolved into an event where the local LEO's use this as a way to pad their pockets by arresting, charging, incarcerating and then fining those that actually make the event worth coming to see. Narc's in the Holiday Inn, finger print scan (yeah, they dropped it but, only after a serious threat was realized that no jumpers would show), metal detectors, bomb dogs, an over bearing presence of a police/military state and an ever increasing cost for us to cover all of this extra "security." So they grant us a "chance to jump it", right? How big would this event be if no base jumpers showed up for it? IMO the BD commission needs the jumpers more than the jumpers need this. My point was simply to state the facts of what this event is REALLY like. Painting this rosy picture about how gracious these people are for "letting" us jump off their bridge is not truly accurate. It's just not the best situation almost any way you can view this. I'm all about hitting objects, just not this 1. It's a plain old shitty setup and if an individual wants to tolerate what is necessary with being a part of this event, that's an individual choice. I'm sharing what my many years of experiencing this has taught me about the event, the people running it and the local LEO's, and what they have turned this into. I believe the only way to make a true change would be to simply have a year where no jumps were made. Seems to be a pipe dream. The folks in Twin get it and invite BASE jumpers to come to them and they don't treat them this way. I think it's a much better place for 1st timers and there are plenty of courses from some great folks that will get them going the right way.