wmw999

IOS 10.2.1 changed my effin' keyboard!

Now the space bar is shorter, and there's a new key to the left of the return key. It's context-sensitive, in that in most situations that new bottom rightmost key just disappears the keyboard, but in text messages it allows me the "incredibly valuable" :| capability of inserting one of several fake handwritten phrases (like "thanks").
The downside to this is that the space bar is now significantly shorter, and I keep hitting "return" instead of space. Which is irritating, because
It means
That what I write
Looks like
This

My brother's on 10, and he didn't get the "bonus" of the keyboard upgrade. The nice lady at the Apple Store said that my only option was to download a new keyboard. However, I can't find pictures of keyboards to make sure it looks like what I type reasonably effectively on.

So -- who knows what keyboards look just like the former default Apple one?? Or can tell me how to backlevel it before I throw the phone through a window? Or do I really have to learn how to swipe my words rather than typing them?

Thanks
Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Thanks, Normiss -- you read my mind...

Screen captures of the keyboard in Messages and the one when I'm here on dropzone. The offending key is the lower right one; a little keyboard here, and a squiggle in Messages.

The only keyboards listed in Settings are English and Emoji.

And thanks. More and more the technology is the master of me, rather than the other way around. But I am getting better with chisels, and I made a pretty good handmade dovetail joint today...

Edited to, heaven help me, actually include the pictures :$:S

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

The only keyboards listed in Settings are English and Emoji.

It's the price you pay for having the emoji keyboard installed. There simply has to be a place on the keyboard to switch between the two.

If you're happy NEVER using Emoji (and you might well be), then you can get rid of this by doing the following.

Settings > General > (scroll down a bit) Keyboard > Keyboards

In the upper right you'll see "Edit".

Press that and and then touch the red symbol next to the word "Emoji".

Then delete that.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Thanks - I'll do exactly that. Then maybe I'll figure out how to use one of the aftermarket ones and I'll be all au courant and everything.

Wendy P.

Unfortunately, that didn't work. I'm baffled, but that's pretty easy. Might break down and talk to a Genius Bar guy next week.

Wendy P.

I only have one keyboard now, English. At least that's what it says, and
I've never downloaded one. When I took out emoji, I powered off and on again. Next is to reset, but I'll wait on that one since it's more of a pain in the ass to redo everything.

At least it's not a totally obvious problem. Salves my pride a little..

Wendy P.

Try this: close to Quades:

Go to Settings.
Tap on General.
Scroll down and tap on Keyboard.
Tap on “Keyboards”
Now, tap on Add New Keyboard…
From the list, select the keyboard you want to add.
You can also tap on Edit on top-right and remove or move the keyboard order.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

According to another genius bar dude, this is a "feature."none that can't be turned off, or "handicapped keyboard" around. I'm trying different keyboard now. I was really hoping there'd be an answer. Right now I'm trying Minuum. Has a long spacebar, but stuff's always changing in colors as it predicts. And I doesn't advance the text entry box consistently.
I like typing accurately; it reminds me to be careful when ittuxturkey matters, like in documents.
Oh well. Thafornfor the answers.

Wendy P.

I have nothing to offer you in the way of a solution, but I do feel your pain. Fucking "upgrades" do my head in when you can't go back to what you liked >:(

Sending all my good vibes and hoping some geek somewhere will solve your problem :)

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss