Mant

Prince William comes within half a second of death!

You reckon they exaggerate the danger just a bit?

Headline: "Wills cheats death: Prince's helicopter horror as a lethal drone comes within HALF A SECOND of his air ambulance in dramatic near-miss - but was it reckless or deliberate?"

Link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4349456/Drone-hits-Prince-William-s-helicopter-near-miss.html

An 8-inch drone versus a Eurocopter 145! Oh... my... god!

mr2mk1g

There's a reason that rag is known as the "Daily Fail" over this side of the pond.

Indeed. I laughed out loud when I discovered that he wasn't even on board at the time. I'd call that cheating death by quite some margin.

On the point of the Daily Mail being a sensationalist rag – yes fully agree. On your thoughts that a small drone is of no worry to a helicopter – that’s bullshit.

Many helicopters have been taken out by smaller items and killed all on board. In particularly, a small drone hitting the tail rotor (or fenestron in this case) would not a good idea.

I’m a private pilot and own a helicopter; I took my wife and children out for lunch by helicopter just this past weekend. Idiots, with no understanding of airspace, messing about with drones is of increasing concern to helicopter pilots.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

Ah yes, he just missed it: "The Duke of Cambridge regularly pilots the helicopter, codenamed Anglia Two, but it was only by fluke that he was not on board at the time. He was at the controls of the aircraft just days later."

...by a couple of days. In other news the Duke was almost killed by a lory which rear ended another vehicle killing it's occupants just a week after Prince William had crossed the intersection. Fortunately he escaped unscathed.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

ryoder

"The Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country.":P

An American Fan of "Yes Prime Minister". I am seriously impressed!

(with an assumption that you might be American)

I'm NOT totally useless... I can be used as a bad example