headoverheels

It is earthquake weather

We've now had 6 earthquakes in the past 12 hours, all within a mile of my house, all with shaking and noise. 3.3, 2.6, 1.9, 3.3, 2.0, 2.9, on the Calaveras fault, close to the intersection with the Hayward fault. There was also a 1.7 magnitude, about 40 miles north on the Calaveras fault.

Interestingly, the automatic reporting shows the local ones to be very shallow, like 200 feet (after subtracting elevation -- reported depth is negative, but is relative to sea level. More typical depths for other seismic activity is 5 to 10km deep. e.g., the one 40 miles north was 7.3km deep.

I hope it will STFU while I am trying to sleep.

1. There is no such thing as "earthquake weather."
2. A cluster of minor earthquakes is -way- better than a great big one. They relive stress. That's a good thing (presumably).

Dr. Lucy Jones is kind of the go to person for earthquake spokesperson. I subscribe to her on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/DrLucyJones

If there is anything happening anywhere in the seismology world that is significant, she'll be talking about it.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Just got another one, which induced my bride to spring out of bed. I'm still up, surfing. Two years ago, the UCB seismologists determined that the Hayward is actually an offshoot of the Calaveras, which is bad for worst case movement.

We often get small ones, that would never be reported on the news. I'm talking "feels like a big truck going down the street" stuff. This is the only time in 30 years to get more than about 2-3 in a day that make noise/shake. It is the proximity (under a mile vs. 3 - 5 miles). I've not seen so many within such a small area.

When I was visiting my brother at the time (mid-late 90's) in Aptos, CA, just down the coast from Santa Cruz, I woke up one morning and went downstairs and he asked me if I felt the earthquake overnight. It was a 3.something. I slept right through it. >:(

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

When I was visiting my brother at the time (mid-late 90's) in Aptos, CA, just down the coast from Santa Cruz, I woke up one morning and went downstairs and he asked me if I felt the earthquake overnight. It was a 3.something. I slept right through it. >:(

Yep. It's got to be a 4.5 before I wake up and a 5 before I spring out of bed.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

oldwomanc6

***When I was visiting my brother at the time (mid-late 90's) in Aptos, CA, just down the coast from Santa Cruz, I woke up one morning and went downstairs and he asked me if I felt the earthquake overnight. It was a 3.something. I slept right through it. >:(

There would be something wrong with you if you slept through a 3 which is less than a half mile away. I slept though a 6.5, but it was over 1000 miles away.

headoverheels

******When I was visiting my brother at the time (mid-late 90's) in Aptos, CA, just down the coast from Santa Cruz, I woke up one morning and went downstairs and he asked me if I felt the earthquake overnight. It was a 3.something. I slept right through it. >:(

There would be something wrong with you if you slept through a 3 which is less than a half mile away. I slept though a 6.5, but it was over 1000 miles away.

Well, I'm fucking deaf, plus my brother's house was built like a fortress. The Loma Prieta quake, also known as the Bay Series Quake, did nothing to his house. The only things that broke were a couple of ceramic objects that rattled off the mantle over the fireplace.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban