skyjules

sabre135

a 135 is very small for a first canopy at 30 jumps, I hope you worked with your instructor on this one.

Regarding the openings, I would have your rigger check out the parachute, some Sabres have modified sliders to slow down the opening.
I've never had a hard opening on one, but I only have a handfull of jumps on them when I was still renting gear.

Take care out there and congrats on your first :D parachute..

Well I know it's a small chute for my first one but it's over my weight and I jumped a 150 triatholon last week and I landing it perfectly, I think that helped alot. Thanks for the info, if it does open too hard i'll see about making alterations.***Free bird Forever

I have a sabre 120 and it flys well and lands well. The opening on mine are fine. You can roll the nose and tail tightly, get a larger slider or get a pocket on the slider. All have worked for the sabre. As for the size, go see Bill Von's list of things that you should be able to do. I will tell you that I have 1100 jumps and am still just starting to really learn how to fly. That said I am sure that in another 1000 I will realize that I know very little still. Fly a canopy not that you can land, but one that you can land always and anywhere, one that won't get you hurt in traffic or in a tight place. Remeber it often the other guy who causes you to make a mistake and get hurt.
Chris

before judging let's find out exit weight, I mean if the person is 120 lbs out the door that would put them less than 1:1 on a 135. :)

The short lines aren't any longer when a 100 pound woman is jumping the canopy than when a 200 pound guy is so it's still going to be sensitive to control input the way a small canopy is.

Outside exceptional circumstances (skydive chicago style training, hundreds of jumps on larger rental gear, etc) it's not an appropriate first canopy.

Oh I agree that it is going to fly different than a Sabre 210, but being a 100 lb woman who put 50 jumps on a sabre 150 and 100 jumps on a sabre 135 I do know that a 135 at .8/.9 is not radical. It actually is a very good sized wing to start to really learn to fly the a canopy due to it actually being able to respond to imput. Once you get past 120 is where there is a large change in flight characteristics due to line length and such.

Since she has jumped a 150, hopefully her instructors have seen her jump and would not have let her buy a 135 if she wasn't ready for it. Plus, she isn't asking if she should be jumping it, she is asking how to prevent being spanked by it. Which is a very good question because out of 100 jumps I mine, I was only spanked once, but it was hard enough to sprain my T4-T8 and pull my ulna nerve. So if I ever got another Sabre I would get a pocket installed on the slider.

Don't forget that not everyone lives at 5000ft MSL either. Canopies fly VERY different in CO vs. sea level.
Fly it like you stole it!

I understand that it might be a small chute for my first one but I am confident that it will work for me and it means I won't have to buy another one so soon. This size is sufficient for a while. My slider is callapsable but what is a slider pocket?***Free bird Forever