nightjumps

Skyhook Actuality

This weekend I was attending the Skydie Dallas 4th Boogie. On one of the jumps, skydiver from Aggieland is not too far under me as we're headed towards the DZ around 1200 feet. He's checking things out really hard which makes me notice the single, not yet ugly, line-over.

He looks around and down to make sure his air is clear, puts his hand on his cutaway handle and chops.

I'm literally astounded. His reserve was out, open and he was at line-stretch at what looked to be the length of his reserve lines. Poof!

I walked up to him and said, "Man, that has to be the fastest reserve opening, I've ever seen." And he said, "That's the Skyhook, pretty awesome, huh?"

I am impressed. It was about the same as handing someone your D-bag and stepping off a bridge. No longer than that.

Think I'll test jump one while at Skyfest.

Yup, that's Mark's second ride on his skyhook (that rig has had bad luck, but that's another story...PM if you'd like to hear it).

Both times its worked like a champ for him.

I jumped RWS's skyhook rig at the AOT Boogie last year (since they were there in force last year and will be this year). I was absolutely AMAZED at how it functioned. Basically the transition from the main to the reserve felt more like a tandem trap door then anything. My next rig is a RWS Vector with a Skyhook, that for damned sure!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

anybody know if will they have one available to test jump at wffc?

By "test jumping", are we referring to a rig that is setup for intentional cutaways? I know there's one or two out there for intentional cutaways on the skyhook, but I kinda doubt they would let just anyone jump it. If so, I wonder how long the waiver is for that?
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

anybody know if will they have one available to test jump at wffc? whats the cost?

I don't know. You may wish to contact RWS directly and communicate to them that you'd like to test jump the intentional cutaway and ask if they are intending to bring a demo rig to WFFC.

As for taking the Skyhook Intentional Cutaway Rigs to Boogies - for sure we always take them...

Skyfest: Definitely there will be 3 systems.

WFFC: We have yet to confirm this, but we will have them with us - you have to keep in mind that this event has a huge volume of skydivers and aircraft and low passes are not always accomodated. Best would be to swing by our setup when you arrive and give the system a check out and hopefully we will have all the permissions...

As for a waiver - yes, we do have one and it is only a 1page waiver.

You will also be given a full briefing on how to use the system and a final gear check before boarding your ride!

So, if your going to Skyfest or WFFC - we look forward to meeting you all and give the system a bash!

"Start doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you're doing the impossible!"

When I jumped it, Egon didn't charge me a thing, I had to pay a rigger to pack up the reserve (he gave me a huge discount since it wasn't a true I/R), and Egon didn't even charge me when I chunked his handle on the cutaway (yes I know I'm a dumbass, yes I bought beer, no I won't do it again).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

ok that sounds good, but i have a question... your intentional skyhook cutaway rig... do we deploy our normal main, then cut that away to your reserve? or is it some other way?

oh yeah, whats your recommended jump numbers to use it? for example, could someone with around 180 jumps do it? :)

MB 3528, RB 1182

Most certainly you may try the system - as long as you prove that your heads up and are confident in your abilities which by this stage you should be;)

The system is simple - deploy main as per normal, and then you assume your normal reserve procedures - nothing changes there! However, since we are intentionally breaking away from a main canopy canopy 'intentionally' we have a tertiary reserve mounted to your chest (this is in fact your real reserve for this particular jump). The addition to this system is that your reserve is hooked up on a 3-ring system as in your main -in case you have the misfortune of a malfunction on your reserve.

So, what do you get from this experience?

A break away in a controlled environment if you have never had one.
And of course you will get to experience the super quick deployment of a reserve assisted by the Skyhook RSL!

Sound good to you???:P

"Start doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you're doing the impossible!"