nael

Leg Strap Deployment

Sorry if this has been asked in the past, but I did a search which basically came up with nothing.

I am looking at buying my first rig, theres one I am interested in which has a leg strap deployment. Since I have to do a conversion course from my student gear anyway, it wont be a problem as far as I can see at the moment, but I'm thinking it may be a problem when I sell it and get a new container with the normal BOC deployment. Should I just stick with BOC from the start or am I over reacting to nothing here?

Also, are there any particular advantages or disadvantages to this deployment position?
www.TerminalSports.com.auAustralia's largest skydive gear store

It should be pretty easy and inexpensive to have that rig converted from leg strap throwaway to BOC deployment – ask your rigger but this should not be a problem.

I would say go with BOC. Leg strap throwaway is old fashioned and the amount of exposed bridle, IMHO, is just not a good idea! Also you will NOT be able to freefly in a rig with leg strap throwaway – although a rig old enough to have this deployment system may not be freefly friendly anyway.

Get you rigger to take a look at it and discuss it with him/her!

hth! :)
Vicki

Leg strap systems do have a few advantages over BOC - you can see the toggle, and it can be easier to clear some types of horseshoe malfunction (if the canopy deploys with the pilot chute still in its pouch, the pouch will stay still against your leg where you can see it and pull the PC out, whereas a BOC pouch will flap around behind your back once the main is out).

However, on balance, they are widely regarded as old fashioned, prone to premature deployments, prone to packing errors, require diligent and frequent velcro maintenance, and are definitely totally unacceptable for freeflying.

Personally, I would not recommend a leg-strap system for any new jumper. The only reason to use a leg-strap system is if you've already been jumping one for years and don't want to change.

The good news is that many containers can be converted from legstrap to BOC, and it shouldn't be too expensive - ask your nearest friendly rigger.

Hope that helps.

Geoff

Thanks for the advice. I've decided not to get the rig, for a number of reasons, but partly because of the leg strap deployment. Theres so many used rigs out there surely if I look a little longer I will find one that I am happy with without having to make too many changes!
Thanks again!
www.TerminalSports.com.auAustralia's largest skydive gear store

I am looking at buying my first rig, theres one I am interested in which has a leg strap deployment. Since I have to do a conversion course from my student gear anyway, it wont be a problem as far as I can see at the moment, but I'm thinking it may be a problem when I sell it and get a new container with the normal BOC deployment. Should I just stick with BOC from the start or am I over reacting to nothing here?

Should cost you about $50 or so to have the rig converted to a BOC configuration. I recommend it.

Also, are there any particular advantages or disadvantages to this deployment position?

ROL (Rear of leg) Pro- You can see the handle, Con- Too much exposed bridle can catch air and cause a premetur deployment in some body positions and speeds, lots of ugly and "snaggy" velcro, can be put on with a twist making deployment imposible, pocket is less secure.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Pro- You can see the handle

Thats also a con. We're not talking about a student here of course, but many students try to look at the handle, dearch and become unstable at deployement. All the student rigs at our DZ are BOC for that reason.
Remster

Thats also a con. We're not talking about a student here of course, but many students try to look at the handle, dearch and become unstable at deployement. All the student rigs at our DZ are BOC for that reason.

He's Canadian and smart ladies and gents......

True enough. On tandems, no matter how much I train them not to look for the handle, they almost always try.....
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

What kind of rig are you buying?

Convert it to BOC if you do purchase it. BOC is much more secure the ROL.

ROL. Pros: If you can reach a BOC, there are none.
ROL Cons:It's easier for the PC to slip out of the pouch. Lots of Exposed Bridle. Velcro wears out. A horshoe Mal is more prone to happen with a ROL than a BOC due to all the exposed bridle. ROL also has an unnatural pull angle.

Keep a tight closing loop and use a BOC.

A BOC will cost around 40 to 50 bucks. It's more secure, less bridle, if any is exposed. A nice little bridle cover flap can be put on the rig at the same time.

Good luck!
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Leg strap systems do have a few advantages over BOC - you can see the toggle

But might need to dearch in order to see it. I was never able to see my student ripcord or ROL throw-out.

If you want the rig otherwise, find a rigger who does good work and ask whether he'll convert it after you buy it. Assuming he says yes, have it changed before you jump it so you don't get used to the wrong location and run into problems.

People have noted some pro's and con's with ROL vs BOC. Personally I like the BOC but jumped for manyyears with ROL. I like BOC since I know where the handel is even though I cant see it. I dont mind that give and take given there is no exposed bridle, or very little depending on the rig and BOC set up.

Students with RipCords may be more comfortable transitioning to a ROL since that is a similar set up to many ripcord set-ups, yes I know it may be a longer reach but they can see the handel.

Anyway. I have seen many rigs with both a BOC and a ROL pouch. If maintained properly both work great. Paragear sells replacement Spandex B.O.C. Pilot Chute Pockets for $15. Paragear number W97765. They are very easy to sew on and a rigger should be able to do it fast and cheap. We are talking probably 15min at most if you have the pocket. I would have copies a link but the paragear site is protected and searches in a strange way. The pocket is under the Miscellaneous section.

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

If maintained properly both work great

I don't disagree however, ROL is NOT suitable for freestyle or freeflying.

Go BOC. To be quite frank, (no offense to any Franks out there) BOC is the only way to go.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto