elefantfresh

Hello from Ireland

Did my first tandem in California in Feb and now starting AFF in 2 weeks here in Ireland - can't wait!
Have spent the last month on this site reading everything I can - trying to get it all to soak in. Really looking forward to the ground course & instruction.
Fingers crossed I'll get up the following day.
Unsure as to the nerves compared to the tandem - I was pretty comfortable about the tandem as I had absolute trust in the Instructor. This time, its me that has to do everything. Well, most everything.

Thanks to all for such a wonderful resource of knowledge!

So I got the ground school passed on Saturday. 8hrs of pretty intense brain work out.
Too windy to jump in the evening and Sunday was too wet. But this weekend is looking like it could be good.

Running through the exit sequence, the dive, the deployment and opening sequence and the EPs over and over in my head. I want them to be totally visualized and ready to go for Saturday.
Still need to work on the landing part a bit more, mentally. I really don't want to be making too many decisions on the day.

Fingers crossed.

Hi there. With the IPC Irish Parachute Club in Clonbullogue, County Offaly. You can find them at Skydive.ie.
They are generally open Saturday and Sunday. With sometimes Friday from lunchtime. I think during the summer, they may also do Wednesday evenings.
obviously, it's very weather dependant in this wet country of ours.

elefantfresh

AFF2 passed on Saturday - super jump!

Woo hoo!

Jeepers, this stuff is addictive.

That has to be the understatement of the year. ;)
Welcome to the family! B|
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

AFF3 passed! Nailed it - was solo for most of the fall, once stable upon exit - absolutely incredible to see the instructor beside me giving thumbs up and smiling - oh man, that was so special.
They came in again for deployment but said they didnt really need to do anything - that I was solid.

The most incredible jump - I think it could also be something to do with not having 100 tasks to take care of too. I could actually just "chill" and remain stable without next, then next, and next task.
Took a bit of a left turn without meaning to do so but corrected it and brought myself back on heading - all nice and slow and steady.
Delighted with myself :)

AFF4 passed on the 2nd attempt.

Had a total "brain fart" I believe it is called - did nothing at all except deploy, just about on time. Very strange.

Re-jumped again the following day and got it right this time. Really enjoyed it too. Both canopy rides were really enjoyable. Feeling a lot more comfortable about it now. And almost stood up my first! A little more flare and I'd have got it.

Fingers crossed for more decent weather next wknd.

elefantfresh

Had a total "brain fart" I believe it is called - did nothing at all except deploy, just about on time. Very strange.

Re-jumped again the following day and got it right this time. Really enjoyed it too. Both canopy rides were really enjoyable. Feeling a lot more comfortable about it now. And almost stood up my first! A little more flare and I'd have got it.

Fingers crossed for more decent weather next wknd.

A brain fart would be not deploying. Deploying on time is really the only thing that counts.;);)

Stand up landings and good weather days are going to come with the same frequency for your next 20 jumps or so. Have fun and enjoy every moment.

Deploying on time is really the only thing that counts

Good point!

My real goal for the repeat was just to be alti aware to be honest - I got a bit of a shock when I realised where I was on the first attempt.
I told this to the instructor for the repeat and that all I wanted was to jump again and be alti aware - whatever about passing the jump. He understood but said "lets plan to pass it anyway" which was a great idea in hindsight. Trust your instructors!

AFF5 - completed, at last!
Due to the usual weather/work/family constraints, I finally got AFF5 down. Got second load and nailed it.

Was really "up" for this one - more excited and ready for it rather than heavy breathing scared.
I bought my first alti, helmet and goggles 2 weeks ago and was feeling like an actual skydiver for the first time.

Stronger winds (than I'm used to) up high made it a little difficult getting back but I did, eventually. And then as usual, totally screwed up the landing. Flaring too high yet again. Mind you, my PLF is getting plenty of practice. I'm going to have to read up a lot more on this landing stuff. I'd imagine its the most important part ;)

During debrief, I got the thumbs up on pretty much everything (excluding landing). Still need to arch that wee bit more upon exit and again during deployment. But boy, does the video look a whole lot more like a real skydiver rather than 6 jumps ago.

Fantastic feeling and cant wait now for my first unstable, un-held onto exit
Unfortunately, the winds picked up and it wasn't possible to get another one so now, we pray for weather...

AFF course completed!!

6 & 7 jumped yesterday

Unstable exit, head first exit, backflip, 360s, tracking, lower deployment.
They had a bit of everything - and thoroughly enjoyable.
Everyone had told me that 6 would be the real fun one, exiting into somersaults - and boy, were they right - i had a grin from ear to ear upon my first stand up!!

7 saw me have my first landing out - totally misjudged the wind - but got it down safe and had the walk of shame back - pity to go out on my graduation jump - hehe

So thats it, the basics are done and now I'm probably ankle deep rather than just a toe dipped in. Really looking forward to see what the next stage brings, the con jumps.

I can see this being a never ending learning to be honest - but a lot of fun.

The CCI turned to me afterwards yesterday, shaking my hand telling me "you're a skydiver now"
I've never been so proud of myself!

elefantfresh

...7 saw me have my first landing out - totally misjudged the wind - but got it down safe and had the walk of shame back - pity to go out on my graduation jump - hehe...

There is NO shame in landing out.

ZERO!!!

If you can't make it back (for whatever reason), deciding to find a safe landing area, actually finding a safe "out" area, and then landing there safely shows good judgement.

"Get-Home-itis" is more of a 'pilot' affliction than a 'jumper' one, but it has hurt and killed far, far too many jumpers.

I was at SDC Summerfest a couple weeks ago and there was a jumper on a sunset load who misjudged the winds, but waited way, way too long to try to find a safe 'out.'. There are no good ones immediately east of the DZ. I was sitting on the ground with a bunch of others, all of us watching and saying "Turn east and run to a good place." Which didn't happen.

So a tree landing was the result. And a whole lot of shenanigans in the rescue effort.

You seem to have avoided that potential disaster.
Which is, of course, a good thing. :)
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

You make a very good point - I didn't really think about that.
At the time, I knew I'd gone long on my downwind, way to long so I turned 180 back without doing a base leg but I just sat there, sinking with no penetration at all.
There is a row of 50ft trees right underneath me and I just knew I had to make a decision, which I did. Back 180 again downwind towards a hay field then faced the wind again and basically, just dropped vertical.

So despite the fact that I'd gotten the actual pattern wrong, which was absolutely my fault, I made the correct decision to get out of it in one piece.

In fairness, the CCI gave me ticking off for getting the pattern wrong but commended me for making the right decision thereafter.

Jeez, its a rollercoaster!