GAjumper84

Hello everyone!

Hey everyone!

I just started skydiving out of DZ Skydive Monroe in GA a month ago in the IAD program. Got 5 jumps in so far and I love it! Through hanging out at the DZ, as well as checking out this forum I now realize I have become a part of a community. Skydiving is great, but so is just getting to meet new people! If anyone else skydives out of this dropzone, hit me up as I will probably graduate in the next couple of months and would love to get with someone who wants to have fun, but doesn't mind me asking my newbie questions. Other than that if anyone has any advise for a new guy I will definately appreciate it.

Yes, definitely go to Fitzgerald. Hell I'm from the far north and I still make it down for that one.

See, they'll let anyone come, even a Yankee! :P
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

SOOOOOOOX!

anyhow now that my New England just came out...

Welcome to the community. My only experience with GA is Ft Benning and that has kept me well out of that state since. That and the fire ants, man eating wasps, the clay I never got out of my combat boots... most things about GA actually ;)

BUT, a good friend of mine went to medical school there and has nothing but great things to say about the area.

At the end of the day... yeah... I'm just jealous that you can probably jump year round and right now I'm finishing chopping enough wood to keep warm through the winter. Damn you and your warm climate! :)
You are not the contents of your wallet.

Lol, thanks for the summary of south Georgia! I avoid it, think I've been down there twice in my life, and Ive lived in GA my whole life. You forgot to mention the sand nats. North Georgia is completely different.
As for jumping year round, yeah I definately can here. Don't know how much I will enjoy 10 degree (F) wind hitting my face at 120mph though! I will find out soon enough though I'm sure. Glad to meet you and good luck getting all that wood chopped!:P

Oh yeah, people will bring their friends, kids and significant others who don't jump. Plus, there are plenty of jumpers who don't jump for a variety of reasons; no money, don't like the wind conditions, hung over, couldn't get on the load with their friends, etc. There are always plenty of people milling around.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

GAjumper84

Lol, thanks for the summary of south Georgia! I avoid it, think I've been down there twice in my life, and Ive lived in GA my whole life. You forgot to mention the sand nats. North Georgia is completely different.
As for jumping year round, yeah I definately can here. Don't know how much I will enjoy 10 degree (F) wind hitting my face at 120mph though! I will find out soon enough though I'm sure. Glad to meet you and good luck getting all that wood chopped!:P

I'll admit I don't know where exactly in GA Ft Benning was. I know it was hot (June-Sept I was there), humid, lots of evil insects waiting to kill you, and I was in boot camp. Jumping back then was a different story since it was military static line from... good lord what did we jump at, 800-1000 feet? I sprained more ankles that month, and they still pop and crack when I walk.

10 degree wind in your face? Trust me, its not too bad... thats spring/fall here! Once you're out, it warms up fast anyhow... remember you're warming up 3.5 degrees every 5 seconds ;) My first jump I was shivering (or shaking from fear... not sure) and remember the cold blast followed by warmer... warmer... warmer... landed... soaked in sweat.

I can not imagine what jumping in a Georgia summer would be like. If you like hot weather it must be amazing. Crisp air at altitude and steaming hot on the ground.

It does get humid and hot in Georgia! I won't know what its like till next summer though. First jump was only in September, so it has been perfect temperature on the ground and at altitude.
As for military jumps, my brother was an airborne Ranger, so he has told me all about it. No fun at all, and anyone I know with a decent amount of jumps under their belt has bad knees or ankles. Ouch!!
From what I understand, weather is a huge setback for a lot of people who live in colder/wetter areas, sorry to hear you are in an area that shuts down for the winter

GAjumper84

It does get humid and hot in Georgia! I won't know what its like till next summer though. First jump was only in September, so it has been perfect temperature on the ground and at altitude.
As for military jumps, my brother was an airborne Ranger, so he has told me all about it. No fun at all, and anyone I know with a decent amount of jumps under their belt has bad knees or ankles. Ouch!!
From what I understand, weather is a huge setback for a lot of people who live in colder/wetter areas, sorry to hear you are in an area that shuts down for the winter

It is a hardship but admittedly the autumn foliage is beautiful from above. So many reds and yellows all patchwork covering the area. Breathtaking.

Most of us who were in the south trying to earn a beret of any colour ended up with some back knees/ankles/hips/backs after a few low-out round jumps. We are really lucky someone sorted out the "square" parachute for us :)

So I didn't think I would make my A license when you mentioned Fitzgerald to me in October, but I caught the bug. I should have my A license by February at the latest, but I don't have a rig. I wanted to see if they did rentals at something like this, or if I should just put boogies out of my mind until I buy my own (probably this summer)?

I would love to go either way, but jumping would make it that much more fun! :D

I think the Farm brings down their rental gear (as they were training some students last year). Maybe give Hans a call (or post a message at the "Farm Fun Jumpers" facebook page, or a message in the Fitz booggie thread in the "Places to Jump" forum here).

IIRC, Monroe's king air was down there as one of the jump ships, so maybe they also had some things going. Maybe ask them? If you plan to jump a lot, maybe Monroe would be willing to rent you a rig for the weekend.