marathonmom

Should I try again?

I just had my first tandem jump.

I thought it was interesting and beautiful but I didn't feel a rush. I was hoping for a rush. Don't get me wrong, I loved the beauty, just didn't feel a lot.

I landed, and just felt very thirsty and very tired. A few hours later and about 50 oz of water later, not as bad. (I am very fit; I'm not sure what caused the tiredness. I could run or hike for many more hours than I was even there without that.)

I felt very secure with my instructor and that he would make sure I wouldn't die, especially with the statistics I read. I don't think I felt afraid, though my heart was beating hard when I first got suited up and people kept saying I looked scared. Someone suggested maybe I was afraid and I just froze it. Any experience with that? It seems odd but possible to me. I didn't ever doubt I would do it.

Also, I was a little distracted because my ears really hurt! I am always sensitive to pressure changes- I get it bad even driving through the mountains. Anything that would help that? Earplugs?

I guess I'm asking - is it worth trying again? And if so, should I do more tandem or take the class to start trying AFF?

So really asking - what can I correct and should I try again.

Like I said, my instructor was great -- I would have asked him but more people were waiting!

I thought it was beautiful and lovely and I do things like hike just for the same thing (the view) but after talking to several people I'm feeling like I really messed something up not to feel a rush and I would honestly love to feel a rush!

Different people react differently.

Some experience "sensory overload." It's such an alien environment that you simply can't take it all in and sort of shut down.

The tiredness is pretty common. It isn't as much physically taxing as mentally. And you can get really tired out from the mental stress of the jump. Especially if you aren't used to it.

The ear issues are pretty common. Earplugs are for noise reduction and won't help with it. You have to learn how to clear your ears, or learn to live with the discomfort.

As far as a "ruch" goes, some feel it, some don't. I get a strong adreneline blast when I jump, and a hell of an endorphine hit after I land. But that's really only a small part of why I jump.There's so much more to it than simply an adreneline rush. Some of it I can't explain in words.

Worth trying again? That's up to you.

It's quite possible that the whole experience was so far outside of of what you know that you really couldn't take it all in (that's basically what I mean by senesory overload) After having done it once, the second time may be much different because you have a base of experience.

That's one of the reasons why some AFF programs require a tandem for the first jump. It get the whole "Holy Crap!! I just jumped out of an airplane!!" reaction out of the way under more controlled circumstances.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Welcome to the forums! :)
And, you're asking a bunch of skydivers if you should try again? :ph34r: Of course, you should!

As for your ears, I have found a great deal of relief from Mucinex to clear my ears. But I have sinus issues, so if your problems are because of another reason, you should consult with your doctor.

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Thanks.

I talked to my dad. I hadn't told him I was going. Surprise, surprise, he apparently used to jump a lot and stopped right after I was born. (Apparently my mother was NOT okay with it!) He said he didn't get any thrill from his first tandem, either, and really only got a rush from when he started going on his own and knew he didn't have an expert there to save his life. (Of course, he said it was very different back then anyways; I guess skydivers had to walk uphill in the snow both ways too ;) )

The sensory overload makes a lot of sense, too. I was trying to take everything in, and it may have been too much.

Like I said, it was beautiful and I enjoyed that aspect very much. (Though maybe not so much at the tandem per jump rates for any frequency for just the view.)

I will be giving a thought to whether to try another tandem or to go to class and do the AFF.

I just hear so many incredible things and want to feel that too!

Haha on the skydive forum thing - TRUE, I suppose I know I want to give it a try again, and just was hoping people would have some suggestions or ideas! I was really feeling like I did something wrong after talking to others who have gone, before talking to my dad.

For the price of a tandem you can probably do stage 1 of the AFF. I would check that out, its a much better experience than another tandem (I've never done one tho). You'll get the ground school, and 1 jump with two instructors, and land your own chute!

As for the ears thing. I suffered a lot from that during my AFF. Try to clear your ears a few times on the way down. I find that swallowing ever few tho feet works for me. Since I started doing that I never get any pain.

From wolfriverjoe:

That's one of the reasons why some AFF programs require a tandem for the first jump. It get the whole "Holy Crap!! I just jumped out of an airplane!!" reaction out of the way under more controlled circumstances.

:D:D
I call it "Deer in the Headlights" syndrome.
:D:D

TO marathonmom:
Wolfriverjoe said, "Different people react differently" and that is so true. Sometimes those different reactions conflict from one jumper to the next.

It sounds to me like you may be slightly disappointed in that your reaction was not the same as what others had. Please, try to separate YOUR feelings from that of others and focus on that.

You will find that basing your enjoyment on others may interfere with the enjoyment that YOU really had.
You will find that skydiving is a very individual sport with respect to how people learn, how people react, how people see things....all of that kind of stuff.

So, in a nutshell, what's important here is what YOU see, hear, feel and do. Comparing yourself with others is an error that can, and will, reduce your enjoyment of the sport.

I'd say, "Jump on it, girl!!"
(Yes, Skymama knows I am a skydiver. :D)
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239