kellymel

First Time Tandem Jump- Need Advise

Hello,

I am very new to all of this. For my husband's bday I want to take him skydiving. The thing is I see tons of sites but I am not sure which ones are legit. Are there licences, associations, etc I should be looking for when choosing a group for a tandem jump? I'm in Douglasville, GA and there are several near but like I said, I dont want to just pick one not knowing anything about them. Can anyone advise?

I would really appreciate your help!

There is a "Dropzone Locator" feature here. The DZs listed are for real.

There is a very widespread scam out there called "1-800-Skyride" that sets up websites for DZs that dont exist, and sells gift certificates that can't be redeemed except at a select few places. It's also known as "Thrillplanet" and "Sportations" among other names.
If you call a place and they won't tell you where they are until you say where you are calling from, hang up.

USPA is the only association in the US. Membership isn't required for a DZ to operate, and there are some very good non-USPA DZs out there. On the flip side, USPA membership doesn't guarantee a great operation.

In the Atlanta area, the Farm is the one I've heard the best recommendations for. There are a number of "Farm Animals" that post on here, I'm sure you'll hear from them.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Most of the incidents that happen in skydiving today are related to jumpers who are pushing the limits with their canopies, doing things beyond their skill level or just plain being stupid. The incident rate with tandems is very low as compared to sport jumping.

I believe the owner and tandem staff at The Farm are concerned about safety and will do everything they can to make sure your husband has a fun and incident free jump. That being said, there's always a chance of something going wrong in this sport. It's up to you and your husband to decide if you are comfortable with that level of risk, but I say go for it. ;)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

If you want to be extra a cautious, pick a day where the weather is forecast to be sunny and relatively calm. And arrive early in the am. Winds are usually lighter in the morning, and the pop up t-storms that would cause a weather hold generally are happening in the mid to late afternoon.

If you arrive late, you might find yourselves in line behind many others, and might have further delays if rain passes through.

yeah i was thinking morning would be the best anyways more peaceful. but they should have good judgment with the winds right? i was reading about the other dz in the area and yeah kind of surprised that would happen..

http://www.ajc.com/news/skydivers-injured-in-cedartown-989713.html

So when are going to be here?

Always call before you leave. Hans will let you know if the weather is good for jumping or not. 404-295-5000

The word we hear most often after the jump?
"AWESOME!

Just be warned....there is a major danger with doing your first skydive. I'll let the cat out of the bag. The danger is....
You'll like it so much you'll want to do it every day and *poof!" there goes your house payment, your car payment, your bank account and your sanity.
:D:D:D

Welcome to The Farm, eh?

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

well my birthday is 9/9, my husbands 9/14 his best friends 9/7 and 9/12 so we are looking at going september 10th-thinking in the am. Most people our age are popping out kids and we just want to jump out of a plane, safley of course

:D:D
You're off to a great start. Planes have popped out nearly as many baby jumpers.
:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239