3mpire

Almost Licensed, Any Advice?

Hello world -- I was just cleared for solo status and am ready to start practicing for my checkout dive, which I hope to make before the end of August. I've had a great experience so far!

Since I'm about to graduate from the small student pond and jump into the pool as a licensed skydiver, I wanted to ask everyone the following question:

What do you know now that you wish you knew when you were about to get licensed?

My instructors have been great and I feel like I have a solid framework to go from, so I'm confident about the basics of maneuvers, emergency procedures, canopy flight, etc.

I'm more interested in the intangible stuff that isn't in the SIM or the DZ student manual that I've been reading. What customs or courtesies do new jumpers unknowingly violate? I know there are a lot of informal rules or etiquette that i'm totally ignorant about, and i'd rather learn about that here than at the DZ after pissing someone off! Any pointers would be great.

Congrats and have fun!!

When I was married 20 yrs ago, my mother in law said, "I'm going to tell you how to do everything, how, when and why!!! Listen to me. Keep what you think makes sense and toss the rest..."

She was a smart woman (r.i.p. Ms F.)

I encourage you to do the same. Listen to everyone's opinion, keep what makes sense and toss the rest.

Find a couple of mentors that know what they are doing. Pick one mentor that is really good, but really kinda nutz. Pick another mentor that is conservative and stayed alive in the sport for many years.

Land yourself close to the middle. That way you can have fun while staying smart.

I do all kinds of "high risk" sports. The key is to do them with all the knowledge you can get ahold of.

As far as people are concerned, skydivers are like Army Brats. People come in and out of their lives sooo often that they sometimes put up a wall with new people until they realize that you are really gonna stay around.

Have fun and be smart.
Take chances, just do it with all the information to make good decisions!!

Muff Brother# 2706 Dudeist Skydiver# 121.5

Thanks for the advice, I like the idea of finding people on both ends of aggressive/conservative and splitting the difference. i've already experience a little of that through my instructors (some teach you to do something one way, another will say "i never do it like that, I do this instead").

Ive totally noticed the wall between students and licensed jumpers, but I understand it. I'm not put off by it, because I know I'm learning. I'm going to focus on getting better with each jump, and hopefully people will respect that.

Hi Chuck!

I met you a few weeks ago at the DZ. Sounds like you are on your way doing the right things. I’m in the same boat as you are, a student working to get an A. That separation you see between you and licensed divers will subside in time. They just need to get to know you. Some experienced divers are glad to help and others are not so. It’s just personality differences. That’s all. Talk to Michael at the DZ. If you don’t know him, ask who he is. He’s awesome and always glad to help, give advise, encouragement, and never too busy to do gear checks for solo students. Another thing you could do…if you are not on a jump run, push and pull the boarding ladder to and from the Caravan for the other jumpers. They will see you there and also see you are willing to help out.

The rest will fall into place. See you at the DZ sometime!

Blue Skies Bro!

~Mike
Cause they know, and so do I, The high road is hard to find
A detour to your new life, Tell all of your friends goodbye

Ha! Hey Mike! That's funny that you're on the forum. For some reason I didn't think many people from our DZ would be on here, but shows what I know!

I'm SO STOKED to be on solo status. I think the last time I saw you it was in the east field after one of my 15s. Now that I'm on the caravan I think it'll be easier to get to know more licensed jumpers (though I've met a bunch of cool students along the way, and I'm sure a good crop of them will be coming up behind me, too).

My goal is to try to get 3 or 4 or 5 jumps in a day so I can really get to work on practicing maneuvering in free fall. Have you had any trouble getting that many loads in a day? Have you had your checkout dive yet? Have you run into many others from our DZ on these forums?

I'm more interested in the intangible stuff that isn't in the SIM or the DZ student manual that I've been reading. What customs or courtesies do new jumpers unknowingly violate? I know there are a lot of informal rules or etiquette that i'm totally ignorant about, and i'd rather learn about that here than at the DZ after pissing someone off! Any pointers would be great.

For your own safety as a jumper, be very, very hesitant to take advice from people who are not sufficiently qualified or experienced to give that advice. How to apply that general rule depends on the case-by-case circumstances.

In terms of not pissing other people off, one thing that pisses me off is hearing novice jumpers (a vague category, but generally, in my mind, those with fewer than 50 jumps) giving skydiving advice to student jumpers, i.e. those who are not yet A-licensed. The fewer jumps the student has, the more inappropriate I think it is.

Oh, and don't complain when you see female novice jumpers offered all sorts of help and invited on far more jumps (or types of jumps) than you or the other newbie bro's are. It's a fact of DZ life, dude; accept it. ;)

Volunteer to help out around the DZ as much as possible. Get there at the crack of dawn, offer to set up whatever needs setting up, to sweep out the hangar, to take out the trash, to clean the bathroom, etc. Then offer to do the same at the end of the jumping day. It's an investment in good will that will pay off.

Oh, and don't complain when you see female novice jumpers offered all sorts of help and invited on far more jumps (or types of jumps) than you or the other newbie bro's are. It's a fact of DZ life, dude; accept it. ;)

hmm. i was counting on my dashing good looks and stunning personality to really carry me. i guess i'll have to rethink my approach :P

thanks for the tips!

What do you know now that you wish you knew when you were about to get licensed?

When people who are more experienced than you are choosing to stay on the ground and not jump, DON'T jump.

Expect to PLF on every landing (feet, knees together).

Downsize slowly.

Read incident reports.

Listen to your instructors, even when you are no longer a student.

Never stop learning. And learn the easy way, not the hard way. Learn from others mistakes (aka don't be "that guy").

Blue skies~
http://3ringnecklace.com/

I can't wait! 14 more jumps and my opinion will count for something and I may have something to offer other divers. By the way, I don’t recommend cleaning the bathrooms or taking out the trash. That’ll just create hard feelings from those who are paid to do that job. Sanitary Engineers need employment too.
Cause they know, and so do I, The high road is hard to find
A detour to your new life, Tell all of your friends goodbye

Ask, ask, ask.

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

Offer to help out, but don't just jump in and do something without asking first.

Some DZs are clubs and can use all the help they can get, others are businesses and have hired help to clean the bathrooms and dump the trash.

Some places want you to help students pick up their gear and get back to the hangar, others want the instructors to do that so that they have the opportunity to discuss the jump.

Some places want you to jump on the golf cart and go get the jumpers that landed at the far end of the landing area, others have a golf cart that is very tricky to start and they will be annoyed if you flood it out and kill the battery, leaving it stuck at the far end of the landing area.

Hang out. Most of the time, every jumper is welcome around the bonfire (or sitting on the picinic table). I learned a lot of stuff just hanging out and listening. It was pointed out to me a long time ago (outside of skydiving) that I have 2 ears but only 1 mouth so I should spend at least twice as much time listening as talking.
Most of the instructors are doing this because they love the sport and love teaching it and passing it on. Listen to them. Ask them who you should (and more importantly - shouldn't) be learning from.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Thanks, Joe--good stuff!

I noticed you're out of Kaukauna, WI. I grew up in Green Bay, but have been living in Seattle since 2000. What is the skydiving community like in NE Wisconsin? I don't get back much but once I'm licensed I was planning on making a return trip.

Green Bay Skydivers in Pulaski, medium sized one-182 club. Nice folks, I've jumped there a few times. I did the last 2 safety days there.

Wolf River Skydivers in Shiocton (my home), very small one-182 club. Not open every weekend, or all weekend. Students by appointment, fun jumpers need to get in contact to see if anyone will be there (I'm the contact here on DZ.com).

Skydive Adventures in Omro. For-profit business DZ. two-182s (I think). I've never jumped there, I have heard they are mostly focused on tandems, not so much on other students or fun jumpers.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Yay Skydive Snohomish! Yay Skydive Snohomish! And congrats on getting into solo status.

I haven't found that there is a gap between students and the licensed skydivers at all. Granted, I'm female, but I've had a warm reception from the women I've met as well as the men. I ask a ton of questions, I ask people about their suits, why their canopies are different, landing styles, etc. I haven't had anyone be unfriendly, and the only couple of more standoffish people have been more senior students!

Thanks for starting this thread though- I'd sure like to know what the no-no's are too.