blakepilot

Just did my first tandem jump today!

Hello all! My name is obviously Blake. My girlfriend and I did our first tandem jump today and, needless to say, I'm hooked! I am a private pilot myself (private, multi-engine, instrument with around 300 hours), have always wanted to jump out of the planes I fly, and I finally did it today! I'm already looking into starting AAF training to eventually get my USPA "A" license! Hope to stick around here and read up about skydiving, etc. Not new to forums, as I'm on many car forums, but find these things invaluable information sources. Other than flying, I do as much circuit racing as I can afford in my fast, road-going toys. Hoping skydiving will takeover as another great hobby! B|

Congrats on that first jump and welcome to the world of skydiving! I hope you and your girlfriend can start AFF together as that would add even more to a great experience.

From one pilot to another, be aware that your mental filters for landing will tend to have you flying a landing pattern that is way too large. Stay close and tight, and remember that your glide ratio is much steeper under parachute. It took me several jumps before I was able to alter my filters properly.

Blue skies!
The meaning of life . . . is to make life have meaning.

Yep...speaking of, got 7 jumps under my belt now (AFF Cat D), and I'm still trying to stick the parachute pattern. I'm still thinking like a pilot in that aspect. I finally did a good landing with a tight pattern on my last jump yesterday, but old habits die hard. We'll reset and keep on working on it this weekend! B|

It will click for you soon. It took a dozen or so jumps before I started to reliably retrain my brain for parachute instead of airplane. Hmmm, I wonder what switching back to airplane landings would be like now? :o

The meaning of life . . . is to make life have meaning.