Charliefox30

Newby........ sort of

Hey folks!
I just discovered this forum a few minutes ago--- some buddies of mine were talking about skydiving today and it got me to thinking....... time to go for another jump!

I have two tandems ( both in Dallas, TX) but I'm from the Pensacola area originally. I enjoyed both of those jumps and am looking forward to the third one.

I'm a pilot and have been for a long time, but am willing to jump out of perfectly good (and not so perfectly good) airplanes!!

Cheers,
Charlie:)
"If it suddenly ended tomorrow,
I could somehow adjust to the fall;
Good times and riches and sons of a bitches,
I've seen more than I can recall!"

but am willing to jump out of perfectly good

Any good pilot knows theres so such thing!:P

Sign up for an AFF course and get to jumpen! What city do you live in? I jump at SD Dallas and live just north of Fort Worth. Call and get a first jump course set up, you wont regret it.
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

agreed. no such thing. but do the AFF!! You'll love it!
If you disbelieve everything because we cannot certainly know all things, we shall do much-what as wisely as he would not use his legs, but sit still and perish because he had no wings to fly.-JL

but am willing to jump out of perfectly good

Any good pilot knows theres so such thing!:P

Sign up for an AFF course and get to jumpen! What city do you live in? I jump at SD Dallas and live just north of Fort Worth. Call and get a first jump course set up, you wont regret it.

LOL, you are correct there, my friend! Incidentally, I lived in Dallas and did my first two jumps at SkyDive Dallas. I have sense relocated to the Pensacola, FL area and am planning on checking out Emerald Coast.
I almost did the AFF then, but chickened out. :$

Dude, not gonna lie, ive almost chickened out on every jump once i get to the door. Not joking. Its EVERYTHING i go to take tha leap. But everytime i do im soooo glad i did and would never forgive myself if i didnt. Trust me its the most scary thing youll ever love to do.
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

eh, it's so awesome when you get up there. Mutumbo is just a wimp. :P Looking down out of the plane is my favorite part. Then of course, when in free fall, everything is so peaceful and serene. The worst part is just the plane ride for me. Once I get to the door, it all clicks together. Just remember, if you do the AFF, grab something to eat, keep hydrated, and breathe deeply. Practice everything you need to as many times as you need to. I practiced my exit so much that I actually blistered my thumb. Do it until you are comfortable. and you'll love it.

If you disbelieve everything because we cannot certainly know all things, we shall do much-what as wisely as he would not use his legs, but sit still and perish because he had no wings to fly.-JL

Welcome! You CAN do this!

I was the same way, but it gets better. Now on the ride up to altitude, I am thinking, "I WANT my minute in the airstream! Get me up there!"

That's it! A minute. Approximately 60 seconds in clear air, nothing to hit, just enjoy! I want my minute! I also try to stretch-out the canopy ride, because THAT is just as fun, too!

Go for it ..... you will not regret it!

BTW - I am planning on doing my "A" license Check Dive on my 63rd birthday in April! :)

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks!
Live deliberately; Dare greatly; Land gently
SkyPainter
SOS 1304, POPS 10695, DS 118

eh, it's so awesome when you get up there. Mutumbo is just a wimp. :P Looking down out of the plane is my favorite part. Then of course, when in free fall, everything is so peaceful and serene. The worst part is just the plane ride for me. Once I get to the door, it all clicks together. Just remember, if you do the AFF, grab something to eat, keep hydrated, and breathe deeply. Practice everything you need to as many times as you need to. I practiced my exit so much that I actually blistered my thumb. Do it until you are comfortable. and you'll love it.

yeah at least i wasnt the one with a death grip on my instructors hand there lady;)
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

Cool you should have a few good DZ's to pick from around there. Fl is a great place to skydive. Get out and jump. Most people are scared or second guess skydiving......dont think your special!:P Just go jump, and every time you let go of the plain you will remember why you jump.;) Enjoy. Just remember Breath!

Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

aff is where it's at. the door problem is there for a lot of people, only a dumb ass or a crazy person wouldnt be nervous. once you make it out of the door you will be having the time of your life, you will be so focused on your tasks at hand that there is no room for the nervousness, just a nice relaxed fall.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

Thanks for all of the encouragement guys! The ride in the plane is not the problem (I used to fly skydivers in MS) it's just hopping out there into the wide unknown without an instructor. I can remember my first solo in an airplane over 12 years ago. I kind of felt the same way then, but hey, I got over that!

Thanks again, guys and galls, hope to see ya'll at Horak soon!:)

eh, you are just jealous I didn't have the death grip on you. I HATE the plane ride. yuck. :S

I remember my first tandem. It was funny, we were cruising up to 13,500 in a Caravan, and I'm thinking..." Where's the DZ, where's the DZ........" then, we got altitude, and folks started bailing out the door like it was some ordinary thing. I guess it was strange because I had never been on that side of the fence before. Then, my instructor was telling me that it was our turn. He didn't give me much time to decide, we were out the door in a flash. At first, I couldn't breathe---- but then I remembered, "Oh yeah, look at the horizon, stop worrying about where the DZ is!" Well, after doing my circle of awareness checks, we were at 5,000 ft. Then 4700 ft. "Oh yeah, time to deploy the chute, dummy!" After the initial shock of being jerked upward as the chute deployed, the under canopy experience was pretty dang cool-- the instructor showed me how to fly the chute. We flew a pattern, and we landed. That part I understood, just flinging yourself out the door into what seems like insanity was the only thing that gave me fits.

It took me a while to decide if I liked skydiving or not, so I tried it again. That was when I fell in love with it. I planned to start my AFF at Dallas, but then the mass layoff at my job happened. Nearly a year later, maybe I can realize that dream.
Thanks for all of the kind words & encouragement!!B|