j_gouge

I've got the Texas weather blues

Hello all. Long time reader; first time poster.

I got my first five jumps in the Freefall program at the Air Force Academy a year and a half ago and instantly fell in love with the sport. Spent what seemed like an eternity saving up for and waiting for the time to actually go jump seeing as I’m a full time college student and ROTC cadet. Anyways, I finally started AFF this New Year’s Day and it just fueled my desire to jump even more. Unfortunately, I never considered the fact that Texas weather this time of year is less than accommodating to skydiving, much less for students. So, now I’ve found myself spending more time reading about skydiving than actually jumping. Hell, I’ve read the SIM back to front twice already. Needless to say, it’s quite frustrating.

Anyone else have a similar experience when they started?

Anyone else have a similar experience when they started?

In what part of Texas are you?

South Texas weather is usually lousy in Jan. and Feb. But then the rest of the year you can pretty much jump as much as you want. So you shouldn't have long to wait. Save your money for when it breaks.

His profile says Aggieland JR ... ;) ...

I had about 6 weeks from ground school to first jump thanks to our weather this time of year, so yeah ... I get it. We'll probably meet if you're out there much, since I try to get up to visit the folks at SDA at least every couple of months. I'm due a trip up there soon (of course, IF the weather will cooperate!!).
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

South Texas weather is usually lousy in Jan. and Feb. But then the rest of the year you can pretty much jump as much as you want. So you shouldn't have long to wait. Save your money for when it breaks.

The funny thing is that I've lived here all my life so I should have known this would be a bad time of year to start jumping. Oh well. Lesson learned. The good news is that I paid in full up front for the whole license progression so any money I save can go to beer.

We'll probably meet if you're out there much, since I try to get up to visit the folks at SDA at least every couple of months. I'm due a trip up there soon (of course, IF the weather will cooperate!!).

Sounds great. As soon as the weather gets better I plan on being out there every weekend until my wallet runs dry. Maybe we'll bump into each other and you can teach me a thing or two. B|

Hope we all get some jumps in soon.

You and me both!

The funny thing is that I've lived here all my life so I should have known this would be a bad time of year to start jumping. Oh well. Lesson learned.

You learn to look at the sky/weather a whole new way when you start jumpin.;) You never realize how bad the WX is until it keeps you from jumpin for a while:P

If you get to the DZ on a bad WX day dont worry, ask around and see all the great things there is to learn:)
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

I had a similar experience when I was on student status. The DZ I was jumping at had some winds knock the two planes into one another, which resulted into the DZ going down to only a Cessna, so tandems became priority and with all the weatherr holds for winds. I felt like I spent more time sitting on the DZ floor than anywhere else last year. From jump 4-jump 25 it took me almost a full year. So dont panic it is well worth it. Once I got my A ..from the time I got my A to jump 40 was only 3-4 weeks because I was able to go to a little bigger dropzone that wasnt having some of the weather and plane issues my DZ was having. Right now with all the snow around the country I think many of us are in the same boat..hell Dallas is getting snow today! It will break soon and once it does the skies will be filled with us looking down at the earth versus looking hopelessly to the sky.
THRIVING IN MY DASH!!

i know exactly how you feel. got my a license a few weeks ago and the wind and rain have kept me from jumping since. i can deal with the cold cause it doesnt last for long, but the 20 to 30 mph ground winds are getting old. i

good luck and blue skies
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

I have the Texas weather blues as well. On the bright side, this weather is going to disappear a lot sooner than it is for 90% of the country. They'll have to wait until April or May to get good weather.

You got that right.

We got another 8" of snow on Tues. It won't melt until the end of March at the earliest. Then wait for the (grass) runways to dry out.

If I get to jump before mid April I will be very happy.

Suffice to say my sympathy towards the OP is a bit limited:P
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I have the Texas weather blues as well. On the bright side, this weather is going to disappear a lot sooner than it is for 90% of the country. They'll have to wait until April or May to get good weather.

You got that right.

We got another 8" of snow on Tues. It won't melt until the end of March at the earliest. Then wait for the (grass) runways to dry out.

If I get to jump before mid April I will be very happy.

Suffice to say my sympathy towards the OP is a bit limited:P

Hey we got 7-8 inches today (north Texas).....It will by melted by lunch time tomorrow:P:ph34r:

Wow, I thought I would be away from winter weather when I left Dallas, but here I sit, near Pensacola, and guess what? It's SNOWING!!!!!!!! UGGGHHH :S

"If it suddenly ended tomorrow,
I could somehow adjust to the fall;
Good times and riches and sons of a bitches,
I've seen more than I can recall!"

Sounds good! SD Dallas is a pretty cool DZ. Last time I was out there, the pilot was building a house on the field, or remodeling I should say. Did you tell me you were diving there?
"If it suddenly ended tomorrow,
I could somehow adjust to the fall;
Good times and riches and sons of a bitches,
I've seen more than I can recall!"

Sounds good! SD Dallas is a pretty cool DZ. Last time I was out there, the pilot was building a house on the field, or remodeling I should say. Did you tell me you were diving there?

Yes thats my home DZ. How long ago was this? Was it Sven or Eddy?