daverdaver

Newb with Questions!

I did my first tandem jump at Skydive Gananoque in Ontario last weekend and loved it! I live in Alberta and since I got home I've been calling around to different drop zones to collect as much info as I can about the sport. I'm still trying to figure out if I can afford it (both the money and the time)... er... I should say, how much I will have to give up to be able to afford it. One thing that's been on my mind is how often should you plan to jump to stay "current"? Everyone I've talked to about skydiving says that you have to jump "a lot" or "often" to stay safe but still haven't heard any numbers. Does "often" mean 10 jumps a week or a few a month? I really have no idea. I wish I could say that I could be at the dropzone every weekend all weekend but that just wouldn't be the truth. Thanks, look forward to hearing the replies and I can't wait to get started!

Dave

I did my first tandem jump at Skydive Gananoque in Ontario last weekend and loved it! I live in Alberta and since I got home I've been calling around to different drop zones to collect as much info as I can about the sport. I'm still trying to figure out if I can afford it (both the money and the time)... er... I should say, how much I will have to give up to be able to afford it. One thing that's been on my mind is how often should you plan to jump to stay "current"? Everyone I've talked to about skydiving says that you have to jump "a lot" or "often" to stay safe but still haven't heard any numbers. Does "often" mean 10 jumps a week or a few a month? I really have no idea. I wish I could say that I could be at the dropzone every weekend all weekend but that just wouldn't be the truth. Thanks, look forward to hearing the replies and I can't wait to get started!

Dave

in order to stay current with an a license(can get it after 25 jumps), you only have to jump once every 30 days. if you go longer its not a big deal, you just have to get an instructor to jump with you on one jump to make sure you can still fly stable, but it can be a fun jump.

as for the money part you got it right. "how much am i gonna have to give up to afford it." i recently did just that to save 1800 u.s dollars. i got 25 jumps for that with everything included(aff, packing, equipment rental, coach jumps, etc.)

hooked at first jump seems common for a few of us.

good luck and blue skies. you wont regret the money you spend to jump.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

Actually, its funny that you mention that... I have my pilots licence and was wondering if it is common for jump pilots to be paid in jumps instead of a paycheck? I've got a full time job doing helicopter maintenance but would love to fly on the weekends in exchange for a few jumps!

Are you a commercial pilot? A private ticket isn't enough to fly jumpers.

Also, flying jumpers is a different deal. Slow flight with shifting weight, open door, often flying at max gross and minimum fuel.

It's a lot of fun, and yes, some DZs exchange jumpe credit for flying hours, but it isn't the same as any other kind of flying. Diverdriver has a great website for jump pilots. He has a link on his posts. Look in "incidents", he usually posts about aircraft incidents.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I do realize the requirements for being a jump pilot, but after a bit of mulling it over I've decided that jumping is what i really want to do, not flying a jump plane. It would be kinda silly to fly a jump plane just so I can skydive. The idea crossed my mind as my dad was a jump pilot for years and also did a few free jumps on the side, but I think I'll just focus on skydiving as that is what I want to do. Thanks a bunch for the input though!

Dave

Dude, Welcome,
Ijust started myself.
After your AFF jumps @ about $200 X 7 OR 8. iT GETS MUCH CHEAPER I generaly save $50 a week {cost the same as my wife & I Bowling League}and jump every other weekend to stay current.
50 for a rental rig, 25 a jump ticket, Learn to pack, & pack for yourself. I'll jump 3 or 4 times and tell my wife LOOK I ONLY SPENT $50 Bucks;)
The only problem is trying to justify buying GEAR!
She' cool with me spending 2 SAT. a month at the DROP ZONE Doing something I LOVE!!