peterjd

three jumps, already lost glasses and a question

I think I posted here 6 months ago but I decided to wait for the spring and spend the winter saving moneys.

My name is Peter Durham. DZ is Skydive Orange in VA

I did cat A&B in september. Went back last weekend to beautiful weather. spent saturday retraining and had to wait for sunday due to 14+ winds. Jumped sunday morning and after my 3 practice pulls my goggles + glasses flew off my head! I am blind, not sure how I landed that parachute.

Going back every single time the weather permits and down to the paraclete tunnel with Lambert the barefoot skydiver as soon as possible.

I'm really small and skinny, like 130 and 5'9"
I never goto the gym but if I were to start, what aspects of physical fitness are important to be a skydiver? Machines, cardio, etc? Eventually I wanna learn freeflying and wingsuiting!

glad to meet ya!

Welcome to the forums! :)
As for your question about physical fitness, you'll feel better at the end of the day if you do a little work on your upper body strength, particularly your shoulder area if you're wanting to do freeflying and wingsuiting. I'm sure you could get by without working out, you just might be a little sore after a whole day of jumping.

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Sounds like you had the goggles on over the helmet.
Try putting the goggles on and then the helmet.

As for the excersize machines...I got nothing except to say anything that strengthens the back and legs.

Congrats on picking up your progression!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

As for the excersize machines...I got nothing except to say anything that strengthens the back and legs.

Really, for freeflying and wingsuiting? I can understand that for RW, but not the other disciplines.***
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Welcome to this great sport.

As for exercise ... take a look around the DZ and you'll see that lifting pint glasses of beer would be the best bet. :D

Agreed. It's not exactly a "physical sport":S I've gained 15lbs since starting and to be honest - Packing is more work than jumping!
Just keep curling those :D:D:Dand increasing the WL and you'll be fine ;)
If your gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Your mom goes HandHeld

I use a strap on my glasses even though they are under the goggles. I also keep a spare pair in my gearbag so I can drive home if they get lost/broken.

You don't really need much muscle to jump. I think wingsuiting takes some arm strength, but I don't do it so I don't know for sure.

You might want to bulk up a bit. You sound as skinny as me, and I fall like a feather pillow. I wear weights or have the other jumpers wear big suits to match fall rates.

Things that build your trunk/core muscles would be good. Situps, pushups, squat-thrusts (good old bends-and-motherf@$%ers) - basic stuff. Working on your grip strength (squeezing a ball) helps with packing too.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo