diveout

removable slider/ dbag/ p/c for swooping

So I'm looking at building a detachable slider/ dbag/ p/c set up for competition swooping. I've seen some really good systems on the sponsored team's canopies- I'm gonna do a version that leaves only modified and polished medium sized standard riser rings on the risers with the slider coming completely off, attached to it are the d-bag and p/c.

anyone got a close-up pic of one of these systems showing where the slider itself actually attaches to the ring on the riser?

It's basically just a version of the cutaway system on the bottom of your riser. I just thought if someone has built a system recently they might have a pic they're willing to share-that would be cool.

Pat' Pending, Huh? That's a larf...sliders have been removeable since the 80's, are they trying to patent the extra line betwee the d-bag and the slider? Not exactly a design breakthrough. I made one of these with a piece of spectra in about two minutes.

I'm ALMOST POSITIVE that some team Xaos guys were jumping early versions of this before the PD guys had it on their rigs.

Anyway- I'm not going to market this or sell it, it just going to be one system on my rig.

Pat' Pending, Huh? That's a larf...sliders have been removeable since the 80's, are they trying to patent the extra line betwee the d-bag and the slider? Not exactly a design breakthrough. I made one of these with a piece of spectra in about two minutes.

I'm ALMOST POSITIVE that some team Xaos guys were jumping early versions of this before the PD guys had it on their rigs.

Anyway- I'm not going to market this or sell it, it just going to be one system on my rig.

Let's not devolve this thread into a patent system debate - that would be SoapBox material.

PD does seem to give some credit to the earlier removable slider work on the link SpongeBob posted.

While early versions required removal of the system from the slider, PD inventors wanted the final R.D.S. design to incorporate a removable slider to speed up the process. The removable slider is not a new concept in skydiving, but dates as far back as the early ‘80s. The removable slider design developed by PD is an improved version of one that swoop competitor Kamuran “Sonic” Bayrasli developed and has been jumping for over a year now.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

so...

anybody constructed a removable slider/ d-bag/ pilot chute combo for the purpose of competition swooping lately?

If so- do you have a pic (or tips for construction) that you might be able to post, thanks in advance-

-Diveout

I have a QRS. The bag and pilot chute system is a lot easier to make, all you need is a little spectra line and a rsl. The stainless one because the brass one has a lower release force, and can open when you dont want it to. If you use this system make the connection tabs as close to the grommets as possible, this will lessen the chance of damaging your canopy, and allow a cleaner line to the bag. Measure the distance between the tabs and that is how long you want to make your lines that are attatched to the slider, like a triangle. Then measure from the slider 6ft, subtract the distance from the top of the triangle, and you have your length of the line from your triangle top to the dbag. Attatch the Rsl link to the end of that line and you have it. Also you will want to remove the little tab on the rsl for removing it, and replace it with something smaller, if its that big it will catch and release when you least expect it. But its kinda fun catching your bag.

The slider part is tricky, size definitely comes into play, with the grommets on the outside of the slider it allows the slider to get more of a cup shape, and doesn't want to come down. The first prototype we did was smaller than the typical slider of the canopy we were using and it still took forever to come down.
There is a ton of different designs for releasable sliders, the idea has been used for years. Dave Brown has some killer Grommets he sells, they are the best ones I have seen so far. I dont know how to get ahold of him but Im sure someone does.

Oh yeah be carefull packing it, it is real easy to pack a malfunction if your not carefull, also you can damage your tail of your canopy if you dont construct it right.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!