sunnydee123

RSL....yes or no

wow a can of worms

just my .02 with my vast experience level here(sarcasm). On jump 18 i had my first and only chop. When my reserve opened i had 2 line twist in it. easy and fast to kick out, no problem landed safly. Did i have the line twist cause of the the RSL opening my rig, yeah, but i was glad i had it. Easy to kick out of.

will i have one on my rig? yup i will. Until i find a good enough reason to not have one. I do not rely on it, it is just an extra tool.
--------------------------------------------------
Fear is not a confession of weakness, it is an oportunity for courage.

Did i have the line twist cause of the the RSL opening my rig, yeah

Are you sure? Since I would put money down that says you weren't symmetrical in your harness.;)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

i was in a slight spin... i say slight cause it was a 250 canopy.... caused by unstowed break and tension knot.

so yeah i was not totaly stable, so i had twists cause of my body position..... ok so it was not due to the RSL, oh well... my point still stand! lol;)
--------------------------------------------------
Fear is not a confession of weakness, it is an oportunity for courage.

If you want it, keep it on. It's one more thing between you and the ground. You are not "relying" on it, it's just there to give you some competition getting your reserve out. I've heard every crappy "reason" in the book for not using a RSL or a Cypres, the most recent being that they ruin "the spirit" of the sport. Ignore the naysayers, Darwinian selection will eventually take care of them.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Is it at all possible in the event of a riser hangup (the riser with the RSL attached detaching, and the other riser not) for the RSL to release the reserve pin, ending up with a possible main reserve entanglement ???
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

If you want it, keep it on. It's one more thing between you and the ground. You are not "relying" on it, it's just there to give you some competition getting your reserve out. I've heard every crappy "reason" in the book for not using a RSL or a Cypres, the most recent being that they ruin "the spirit" of the sport. Ignore the naysayers, Darwinian selection will eventually take care of them

RSL's have also killed people. Do a search.

And in EVERY fatality that an RSL could have prevented...Better training could have done the same thing...But in EVERY RSL death, the guy did everthing right and the RSL still killed them.

A saftey device that is not needed, and can be replaced by better training that can kill you...I don't think is all that safe.

Here I did if for you

http://www.dropzone.com/gear/articles/FactsaboutthequotReserve.shtml
Facts about the "Reserve Staticline Lanyard"
Posted Thursday, October 15, 1998
By Relative Workshop

Facts about the "Reserve Staticline Lanyard"Lately there has been a big push towards the use of the reserve staticline lanyard (RSL) for experienced jumpers.

Most proponents of the RSL have only been dwelling on the positive aspects of the RSL without considering the negative consequences.

The Relative Workshop wants to educate each jumper regarding the pros and cons of the RSL system so you will be able to make an informed decision about this popular, yet controversial modification.

For those of you unfamiliar with the RSL system, a short description is in order. The RSL is a simple lanyard connecting one or both of the main canopy risers to the reserve ripcord. In the event of a main canopy malfunction, and following a successful breakaway, the reserve ripcord is pulled as the main risers depart with the released main canopy.

In essence, the RSL indirectly connects the breakaway handle to the reserve ripcord handle. Unfortunately, this simple lanyard can easily complicate a routine emergency for those who are more than capable of handling the problem manually.

The RSL has gained much of its notoriety through its use on student equipment. The RSL is ideal for students because the probability is high that a student might breakaway from a malfunction lower than the recommended altitude, and delay longer than necessary before deploying the reserve. Having the reserve deploy in a unstable body position, while far from ideal, is preferential to not having the reserve deploy at all. Waiting for the AAD to fire if the breakaway is extremely low is a chancy situation at best. For these reasons, the RSL is quite compatible for student gear and most instructors would probably agree!

RSL's work great on tandem systems as well. The tandem instructor really has his hands filled during a malfunction so the speedy deployment of the reserve is a big advantage. Stability after a breakaway is generally not a problem as the tandem pair have inherent stability qualities due to the positioning of the passenger and tandem master. If the tandem master has properly prepared the passenger's body position, a tandem breakaway has a greater potential for instant stability than a solo breakaway.

Both student and tandem jumps are carried out at higher altitudes and rarely involve other jumpers in the same airspace, minimizing the chance of canopy entanglements which can complicate matters severely.

RSL's and the experienced jumper - Pros vs. Cons
Remember, the RSL does one thing and one thing only: It will activate (providing it does not physically fail) the reserve container following a main canopy breakaway. That's it! Now lets talk about the disadvantages of the RSL.

1) Most jumpers don't realize that utilizing a RSL correctly requires changing their emergency procedures. Why? The reason is simple: Most RSL systems offer the ability to disconnect it from the riser. If it's disconnectable, then there will be situations that may require a disconnection before proceeding with the breakaway. An obvious one that comes to mind is a canopy entanglement with another jumper. If one or both jumpers have an RSL and they mindlessly breakaway without considering the consequences, they might very well find themselves entangled again, possibly for the last time! Canopy entanglements are happening more frequently now than ever before due to several reasons:

A) More inexperienced jumpers engaging in larger RW formations. B) The recent popularity of ultra-fast zero porosity canopies. The result is: Skies crowded with more inexperienced jumpers flying faster canopies.

Emergency procedures for systems fitted with RSLs would change in the following manner: Before the breakaway, you must ask yourself (considering your present malfunction) if an immediate reserve deployment will be in your own best interest. If not, the RSL must be released before proceeding with the breakaway.

NOTE: Anytime the RSL remains active during a breakaway, the jumper should automatically plan on pulling the reserve handle anyway just in case the RSL connection fails to activate the reserve container for whatever reason. This lack of awareness regarding the need to back up the reserve pull manually is an increasing and disturbing trend among some of today's jumpers.

2) The average jumper will take more than several seconds to analyze and determine if the RSL disconnection is necessary. This can obviously consume valuable time. No doubt the average jumper would be better off handling the emergency manually by pulling both handles, which is not a difficult task.

3) Lets examine the cause of malfunctions in the first place. The biggest culprits are improper packing and rigging, or bad body position during deployment. (Bad body position can be defined as shoulders not perpendicular to the relative wind.)

s almost impossible to be stable within the first second and a half following a breakaway from a malfunctioning high performance main canopy. Therefore, the typical RSL user is most likely unstable during the reserve deployment.

Instability causes malfunctions and allowing the RSL to open the reserve container for you will increase the chance that the reserve canopy will malfunction as well. One might argue that this would be a rare occurrence, but why would an experienced jumper take the chance? Some would consider this an unacceptable risk!

4) CRW enthusiasts, for the obvious reasons mentioned in point 1, do not want or need a RSL. For those that have one, it should be disconnected prior to boarding the aircraft on a planned CRW jump.

Freefall videographers should never jump with an active RSL systemThe last thing a camera-person needs is the reserve deploying while they're unstable. Just recently in France a fatality occurred when a RSL-activated reserve canopy entangled with the jumpers helmet-mounted camera equipment.

6) The RSL will not work during a total malfunction of the main container, and do not assume that it can take the place of a functioning, properly calibrated automatic activation device. An RSL is not an AAD.

Summation
The RSL system was developed over 25 years ago and found its proper place on student equipment. Due to the fact the skydiving community encounters several deaths each year attributed to the "no-reserve-pull-following-a-breakaway scenario," we have many individuals who feel the RSL is the answer for the experienced jumper. Our belief is quite simple: If every jumper had a RSL, then the amount of RSL related deaths each year would be many more than we now encounter with no-pull situations.

Naturally we have tremendous concern whenever someone wants to take a simple, 3-handle system and turn it into some complicated apparatus in an attempt to make up for the inadequacies of the poorly trained or ill-prepared jumper. We believe if you stick to the basics, constantly rehearse your emergency procedures, and assume you'll have a malfunction on every jump - you'll be much better off.

Remember: The RSL is not a safety device for experienced jumpers because it takes more time to operate it correctly than to pull the breakaway and reserve handles manually. Now that you have been presented with the all the facts, we hope you'll make the right decision for yourself regarding the RSL.

If you would like to have a consultation on your personal skydiving equipment needs, please call Relative Workshop at anytime during the hours of 8am - 6pm EST. We have a highly experienced staff of riggers and instructors who are anxiously awaiting to assist you. If we don't have the answers to your questions, we probably know who does! Remember, we're here to help you make the right decisions concerning your skydiving equipment and its proper use.

Send comments or questions to [email protected]
Copyright © 1998 The Uninsured Relative Workshop Inc.
Reprinted with Permission

Man I love RWS...Better training not just added saftey devices.

Also RSL's have casued fatalities.

Heres another:
Date Location Category Age # Jumps AAD?/RSL?
1/30/1997 Taupo, New Zealand MAL,DMAL? 35 2500 ?/Y
Description: After cutting away from a malfunction, it appears one riser hung up, while the side with the RSL released, casuing the reserve to deploy between the remaining riser. This riser then seperated, and the main ending up choking off the reserve. The pair decended on the partially inflated main which was caught on the wholly uninflated reserve.
Lessons:Some of the above is speculation, but it's a good reminder to perform your three ring maintenance regularly. If you don't know what I'm referring to, you should talk to your local rigger. In a nutshell, disconnect your main, flex the webbing of the three ring, clean the yellow cable with a dry cloth, (for metal housings) lightly oil the cable, reconnect the main, perform a line check, and pack it.

How about this one?
6/22/1997 Umatilla, FL MAL? 42 7500 Y?/Y
Description: At the end of a normal tandem skydiver, the student pulled the ripcord at about 5500 feet. The left main riser broke, which in turn activated the reserve static line lanyard (RSL). The RSL immediately pulled the reserve ripcord cables while the right-hand main riser was still attached. The reserve pilot chute and free-bag cleared, but the reserve canopy entangled with the spinning main. The main was then cut away, but failed to clear the reserve. The student survived the landing, the JM did not. The Master 425 main was equipped Dacron with suspension lines. The type VII risers were manufactured in May 1996 and had the new heavy duty 3-rings. The rings were properly positioned during drogue fall, and appeared normal. The type VII webbing broke about 1" above the lower end; the type IV holding the small ring broke just below the grommet. Neither of the two rings from the left riser were recovered, nor was the cutaway handle or the reserve ripcord. All equipment was less than three years old and in good condition. Instructor and student total weight was about 380 pounds.
Lessons:Perhaps a defective riser?

Heres another
7/12/2000 Elsinore, CA DMAL 27 Y/Y
Description: The Navy was at Elsinore training Seals; they had their own instructors and their own equipment. At the time of this report, no detailed analysis of the rig has yet been made. This report is based on preliminary examinations and eyewitness accounts. The student ( training under the Navy's equivalent of AFF) deployed his main normally at around 4500 feet. During the main deployment the RSL somehow deployed his reserve which then entangled in the main. Someone supposedly had seen that his main was square and apparently flyable while the reserve was completely fouled and entangled in his main lines. No one directly witnessed the incident while the student was between 4000 and 2500 feet. Somewhere during that interval the student apparently cutaway his main which then collapsed and remained entangled with his fouled reserve. It was believed that if he had not cutaway, he may have been able to land relatively safely on his main. The reserve was apparently NOT deployed by his CYPRES: the preliminary examination revealed a kink in the reserve ripcord where the RSL must have pulled against it while it was still under tension from the closing loop. As soon as the rig is released by the coroner more detailed examinations are going to happen by the DZO, the USPA, the rig manufacturer and the Navy. It is unknown at this time what pulled the RSL, it may have been improperly routed and was pulled on line stretch, or it may have been caught by a toggle. It is also unknown if this type of malfunction is particular to this type of rig or is an industry-wide concern. The Navy has stood down their training and grounded all of their equipment until more is known about the true cause of the incident.
Lessons:Dual canopy out malfunctions are nasty. Discuss appropriate procedures with a local instructor. Cutting away from an inflated main when the reserve fouled is not a recommended course of action.

One that can show the drawbacks of an RSL.
9/22/2001 Picton, Australia DMAL 34 360 ?/Y
Description: After a camera jump, this jumper experienced spinning line twists on his Stilleto 135. He was unable to clear them and cutaway at perhaps 1800'. His reserve (an Airforce 120) opened (via RSL, though reserve handle was also pulled roughly simultaneously) slider-up with line twists, and he impacted in a spin still trying to kick out of the twists. The reserve was very highly loaded, at 1.7 lb/ft^2. Video review of the incident shows that the deceased may have been kicking the wrong direction to get the reserve to untwist, and was not observed to be pulling the risers apart to aid the untwisting.
Lessons:There is some reason to believe that pausing briefly after cutting away from a seriously spinning malfunction can aid in reserve deployment. However, pausing also eats up valuable altitude, which is also an increased risk. An RSL removes your choice in this matter, but does insure a rapid deployment after a low cutaway. Note that this forum doesn't post the incidents where someone cutaway low, and their RSL saves them.

Another one.
9/30/2001 Opelika, AL DMAL 48 308 Y/Y
Description: Due to a hard opening, this jumper broke one of the D lines on his canopy, a 230 Rascal. it went into a spin, so he cut it away. The rapid deployment of the reserve via the RSL resulted in his capturing the reserve pilot chute on his right arm. One report indicates the reserve lines also entangled with his neck. The reserve never cleared the freebag. He was found dead at the scene. A second report from someone involved with the investigation reports that the RSL had nothing to do with it; I await further details.
Lessons:RSL's are a mixed blessing. For novice jumpers, they provide insurance against failure to pull the reserve after a cutaway, a relatively frequent occurrence in the pre-CYPRES past. This incident may illustrate the downside of an RSL.

Just pointing this out...Do a search...I have said all I am gonna say...Hell when it comes to RSL's I have said it about 100 times.

Like I said this has been beaten to death...do a search.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Please note that the above letter about RSL's from the Relative Workshop was prior to the introduction of the Skyhook RSL. The Skyhook was designed to remove most, if not all of the "problems" associated with conventional RSL's. The Colins' Lanyard solves the problem of the RSL riser releasing first, and the Skyhook solves the pilot chute entrapment problem and the unstable deployment problem. The Relative Workshop now recommends Skyhook RSL's to all customers, regardless of experience level. Jumpers who do a lot of CReW might be the only exception. However, no device is perfect, and everyone's best course of action is not to get so low that you need an RSL in the first place. Just remember...an RSL is sort of like a gun. If you really need it, but don't have it, you'll never need it again.

Please note that the above letter about RSL's from the Relative Workshop was prior to the introduction of the Skyhook RSL.

Yes, thats why I included the date.

The Skyhook was designed to remove most, if not all of the "problems" associated with conventional RSL's

Yes, The "Skyhook" is awesome, but not everyone jumps a Vector.

The Relative Workshop now recommends Skyhook RSL's to all customers, regardless of experience level.

So have you changed this view?

Naturally we have tremendous concern whenever someone wants to take a simple, 3-handle system and turn it into some complicated apparatus in an attempt to make up for the inadequacies of the poorly trained or ill-prepared jumper. We believe if you stick to the basics, constantly rehearse your emergency procedures, and assume you'll have a malfunction on every jump - you'll be much better off.

Edit to ADD: The Skyhook is the ONLY RSL I would jump. However, the danger of a canopy collision and the possible cutaway and reserve wrap is still there.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

There is no substitute for proper training. However, not everyone is properly trained...and brain farts do occur. That's why AAD's save lives. The old RSL designs simply had too many problems for me to recommend them to anyone but tandem and student jumpers. But times have changed. Pocket rocket canopies spin so violently, and eat up so much altitude during malfunctions, that even when you pull at 2,000 feet, you might now have enough altitude to deal with a malfunction without an RSL, especially if you have a soft reserve handle. USPA records show that 25 people have died after cutting away, and not pulling their reserves in time, in the last ten years alone. And please remember that an AAD might not have time to function in a low breakaway situation.

Hey Denise, you have more jumps than me, but I already have two cutaways, and the one thing I can tell you is that I panicked like FUCK (which means a lot) on my first one, and did everything wrong. I'm still known at DeLand as the guy who fired his reserve into his main. My second one I stayed MUCH calmer and did my EP's *almost* perfect (the problem, not related to parachute system - I forgot to close leg wing on wingsuit which made reserve deployment a bit headdown). Ironically, the RSL did not do a thing on that 2nd cutaway. It mysteriously came disconnected at some point during my EP's, I'm still unsure... I initiated them as if it wasn't there (taking 2 seconds between handles to get my belly into the relative wind wince I knew I was at ~4k ft), and only after landing realized I shouldn't have been able to wait two seconds with an RSL. Checked it, and sure enough, it was still on the velcro.

I removed my RSL after my second cutaway, I still see many good points for and against one, but the main reason I had it was that I didn't trust myself to stay calm in an emergency. I still can't say for sure what will happen in my next emergency, but I am pretty confident now I will be even more calm and cool-headed than during my 2nd one. The RSL didn't play a role in my 1st cutaway, but I did prove my own point that I would probably panic and make mistakes, so I guess it's good I had it there.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

It really is a matter of choice. As it has been stated, IMHO, it depends on what you do on your jumps, such as camera, CRW, ect...
I have one and I will keep it. It's my choice to have another backup piece of equip. Besides, if I ever do cre or camera jumps, or other high risk of entanglement, then I'd simply disconnect it.
FWIW, I had a cutaway some years ago, and still want to keep my RSL.
Make the decision you are the most comfy with :)

Hispas Brothers President
HISPA #2,