freakflyer9999

Big Boy Gear

Does anyone have a sport container that is TSO'ed for more than 300 lbs.?

I've looked through as much of the manufacturer info that I can find, but none seem to have anything TSO'ed over 300 lbs. I've heard that some of the manufacturers will custom make big boy rigs, but do they have a special TSO for them?

I'm just getting back into the sport and have gained a few pounds. I'm currently about 300 lbs + gear.

Yesterday I made my first (beer is on the way) jump in 5 years on an MT-1XX. It will handle the weight easy enough, but I hated the rig. I can't imagine making very many jumps on this thing. It was extremely uncomfortable and heavy. The risers were so long that I could barely reach the toggles and the toggle pressure required to steer and flare the canopy was high. And flat packing this thing like the manual suggests was a major event.

Anyone have any suggestions or perhaps some unused gear sitting in the closet that might work?

Kenny G.

I know what you mean about the MT-1XX, I hope I dont have to ever jump one of those again. I currently have a custom made Vector 2 made with tandem specs. As for a main I actually still use the XX canopy, and actually like the way it flys but agree it has hurendous toggle pressure. As far as rigs and mains those arent really the problem, the reserves are the issue. I have done tons of legwork on this subject and unfortunately the only thing available for us 300+ pounder is a tnadem reserve. I have a Strong Mighty Mak 335 as a reserve but unfortunatley they are no longer made. I would recommend Jump Shack if your looking for big boy rigs/canopies, they were most definately helpful in making me a reserve legal for me to jump. The only other option coming tomind would be contact RWS (known big boy helpers) and have them build you something and add the PD360 tandem reserve.
"GOT LEAD?"

Yes, definitely ask the tandem manufacturers.

If I had to buy a big boy rig this week, it would be a Racer Elite with their 400 square foot reserve and one of the larger Firebolt mains. Toggle pressure on the Firebolt 390 is ridiculously light even with more than 400 pounds suspended weight. Firebolts also have great bottom-end lift!
Oh, and with the new, free, soft tool, Racer reserves are easy to pack.

I would also call my old buddy T.K. Donle at CPS/Relative Workshop to ask about a PD360 reserve stuffed in an almost-tandem-sized Vector III/Sigma with one of their military canopies in the 300 square foot range.
The legal benifit to buying from one of the older tandem manufacturers is that are covered by TSO C23B, which has no upper weight limit. If you tried to certify a big boy rig today, you would have to comply with TSO C23D, which requires dozens of extra - read expensive - drop tests at the heavier weights.

Straight from Mr. Booth himself, Category B is "unlimited" and therefore weight isn't a TSO issue. Vectors are Cat B, i'm sure there are others.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

I have done tons of legwork on this subject and unfortunately the only thing available for us 300+ pounder is a tnadem reserve.

Not quite true. The relatively new new TSO 23 Category D allows for weights higher than 255 lbs. My R-Max 288 is rated at 317 lbs.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Yes, Jump Shack does and no it is not a converted tandem rig, it is the normal 2K3 sport rig just like all of the rest. The biggist person that it has been made for that I know of is 395lbs.

ok I faced the same problem when I got back in to the sport 3 years ago.The option you all are forgetting is lose weight.I weight about 315 pounds and started back on an old halo rig.I immediatly started to diet and exercise and shed 62 pounds in 3 months.Than bought a javelin j-7 with a falcon 300 main and a raven IV reserve.I broke my neck in an auto accident in dec and wont be able to jump till end of june or july.I have to lose 20 lbs from the inactivity of the neck.This is my diet for losing 20-30 lbs per month I drink 2 herbalife shakes a day then I eat a lean cusine for dinner with all the snapple i want to drink.You can eat as many veggies during the day as you want just dont stick them in dressing lol.Make sure you are taking good vitamins.You will find its much easier getting in out of the plane and a lot easier to do rw.You will also have a ton of energy.if you get really hungry have a good supply of single serving microwave popcorn available.If you stick to the diet you will dump close to 30lb the first month.If you want to talk about it or need some help give me an email .Good luck and blue skies

ok I faced the same problem when I got back in to the sport 3 years ago.The option you all are forgetting is lose weight.

That's not always the case. I have a freind who's a college linebacker and weighs just under 300. Losing more than a few pound of bodyfat would probably present a health risk to him.

-Blind

ok I faced the same problem when I got back in to the sport 3 years ago.The option you all are forgetting is lose weight.

I'm not forgetting it, but I'm also not counting on it. When I first started skydiving in 1994, I weighed 265. By the time that I finished my A license 4+ months later, I weighed under 200 lbs. and ultimately got down to 180 lbs. I was motivated and lost the weight. Since then I have gained and lost a couple of hundred lbs. I know how to lose the weight, but obviously I'm not willing to keep it off. Just a year ago I went from 305 to 265. Now I'm back to 295. Food is my stress reliever and unfortunately I have had a lot of stress in recent years.

Straight from Mr. Booth himself, Category B is "unlimited" and therefore weight isn't a TSO issue. Vectors are Cat B, i'm sure there are others.

-Blind

My gear dealer confirmed this today with Relative Workshop. The Vector 3 does not have a weight limit per se, but does have a shock load limit. It is my understanding that this effectively gives the jumper a speed limit that varies by weight.
I wonder if the FAA is going to have a radar on the ground to measure my speed coming at them. Hmmm???

Hey, I have always been a big guy. Right now I am 5'8 250. I have a stainless steel Javelin with full articulating everything up for sale. I had a reflex before that was build for someone small in the chest and I really never felt like I could move. This rig has served me well but I am changing sports. I have a pilot 188 with a good line set on it. The Pilot 188 has a relativly new lineset on it. It is TSO'ed to 301 lbs. I believe the container is also TSO'ed at 301 lbs. The Raven III is TSO'ed at 254 lbs however you may be-able to have a rigger install a Raven-M? or perhaps another manufacture has a reserve for the Javelin J6N that is TSO'ed to your weight requirements.

The Pilot 188 is a GREAT modern canopy. It has color packing tabs that are helpful when packing. I bought it from a rigger that re-lined it and I jumped it for about a season and a half. It has great openings, good handleing, awesome flair power. At 295 it may be a bit swoopey for you but it would be easy to trade someone for a 210 who wants to downsize. The container has a large packing trey and can accept much larger parachutes if you wish.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/page.cgi?g=Detailed%2FComplete_Systems%2FBig_Boy_Stainless_Javelin_--_Pilot_188--_Tie_Dye_144009.html;d=1

Send me your E-mail for more pictures. I LOVE this rig, I just have no where to skydive anymore.