tom_37

UK- help with getting started?

alright guys? ive been loking into skydiving for a while now, and was just wondering how much it would cost me to get qualified to be able to jump on my own every so often, i realise that there are threads on this already, but bear in mind im in the uk, and couldnt find any that would apply to me?

so realistially... whats the damage gonna be?

Hi Tom, your cheapest option is most likely to fly out to Spain o Empuria Brava or Central to do your AFF which is ALOT cheaper over there than it is over here in the UK you should be able to do it in a week or there abouts. The other advantage is that the weather is more stable. If you want to learn over here there are several dropzones (Places where you jump) across the country (Check out the Dropzones map on the dark blue bar at the top of this screen) Generally it will cost you in the region of between £1000 to £1500 to do AFF depending on where you go Spain do cheaper AFF courses than this. Or you can opt for Static line progression which is cheaper but takes longer to get to freefall from altitude. Good luck.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

what type off education. Most of the Uk universities have clubs that usually orgonise trips abroad. if its cost driven then sapin probably gives you the best bet look at www.freefalladdicts.com whoa have a school at seville dz run by a uk dropzone.or you could go to www.skydivelillo.com/english in central spain south of madrid along with www.freefalluniversity.com which is also south of Madrid its your choice. hope this helps you out:)

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

well, im in fulltime education so looks like im going abroadSmile. AFF is what i need then? and is there anyone that has ever been to anywhere in europe here?

At university? Cool, get in touch with your Uni club, if the Uni doesn't have one then get in touch with the BCPA on (their new web home is at ukskydiver). If you can stand to wait until easter there will be a student trip to Spain (prob Seville) with lots of AFF at some form of negotiated bulk discount and lots of crazy bastards to party with in the evenings too:)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Jakee's advice is good.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2487206#2487206

If you do want to go to Europe ask if they're Instructors are BPA recognised and if they have had UK students before.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

one thing that people forget to mention when they say England is more expensive, is that at Langar you get a made to measure jump suit, an altimeter, a helmet, goggles and a log book... ALL included in the price of their AFF course

i know £1450 might seem expensive, but you'll have to buy those itmes anyway, so it actually brings the cost of their AFF course down to what it would cost abroad