karstimmer

Pulling while you're on your back?

On my first freefall-jump (after S/L) I became unstable while trying to reach my ripcord. Every time I reached for it i turned on my back. So, after several attempts I realised, I was quite low (about 800 m / 2600 ft -- should have pulled at 1200 m / 4000 ft) and decided to pull while I'm on my back.

The spring loaded pilot chute went up between my legs and I found myself under an open canopy. Quite uncomfortable, but better than anything else.

So yes: You can pull while on your back.
Yes, it can become nasty
Yes, it is uncomfortable and might hurt
But it's the best option you have.

1. Pull.
2. Pull at the correct altitude.
3. Pull at the correct altitude, while stable.

I hear that said all the time and I think it obfuscates the situation. My rule is "When it's time to pull, PULL!
Period.

It would be nice to be stable at that time but . . . PULL!

Pulling at the correct altitude is more important than stability!

Exactly. When it's time to pull, PULL!B|

I would just like to thank you, a non-native speaker of English, for your correct usage of both "your" and "you're" in the same sentence :)
That said, you've gotten lots of good feedback on priorities, and on the fact that not pulling because you're on your back is far more likely to damage you than pulling when you're on your back.

Try to be in a good body position at pull time. If you aren't, then pull anyway (just as nearly everyone else is saying).

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

1. Pull.
2. Pull at the correct altitude.
3. Pull at the correct altitude, while stable.

I hear that said all the time and I think it obfuscates the situation.

God yes!!

That set of three rules is so confusing.

1. It isn't a decision tree to follow, so it is useless in that way.

2. One could list any number of less important things to do and not change the meaning. (eg., "4. Admire pretty clouds, 5. Flail wildly.")

3. Rule #1 is actually wrong unless one prefaces the list with the condition that these apply only once one has reached planned pull altitude.

4. Otherwise rule #2 is actually more important, as one isn't normally supposed to pull far above planned pull altitude.

5. After reaching the planned pull altitude, rules #2 and #3 can never apply anyway, as one has passed the correct altitude.

6. The list states that pulling is more important than pulling at the right altitude, therefore, pulling low is OK!!

There are so many things wrong with that stupid old list. Even if there is some truth to be pulled from it, it's a massively flawed teaching aid.