fudd

Chemsearch AR-19

I have a can of Chemsearch AR-19 Microscopic protective coating cleaning solution.
As far as I know the coating is silicon.

Anybody know if this is a good product to use on cutaway cables?

Chemsearch AR-19

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I have a can of Chemsearch AR-19 Microscopic protective coating cleaning solution. As far as I know the coating is silicon.

Anybody know if this is a good product to use on cutaway cables?

I guess the operative phrase here is "as far as I know." Which means you don't really know. Unless I really knew what it was I wouldn't use it. I stick with the manufacturers recommendation, and I don't listen to riggers who have something "better" than the manufacturers recommendation.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Its glass cleaner Fudd, I'd say its probably not a silicon based lubricant.

Why take the chance of something wierdy woo happening to the teflon coating, or 3 ring loops, just to save a few Kroner?

"Anybody know if this is a good product to use on cutaway cables?" Good products are those tried and tested by others.....B|

Contact the manufacturer, and request an MSDS for the product, there's a link on their website for this.
http://www.chemsearch.com/viewArticle.asp?article_id=338&country=USA&countryName=United%20States&language_id=4&language=English

The MSDS will more than likely give a chemical make up of the compound, and things like its affect on skin etc, and any special hazards associated with the product.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Just the description indicates to me (a chemist for 24 years) that this is NOT the same as the recommended products. Silicon isn't going to guard anything against smears. Get food grade silicon lubricant. ACE, hardware if you have one near, I've been told has this. I go to an indipendant hardware store. A restrauant supply house may also have it.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Get food grade silicon lubricant.

I have food grade silicon that I use to recondition the o-rings on diving lights. But I've never used it on cutaway cables. I've been told that food-grade silicon is good in a "protected" environment, but in a dirty environment (like the inside of a cutaway housing) it's more likely to attract dirt. Has anyone else heard that?

For the record, I use off-the-shelf Ace lubricant.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

The Ace lubricant is essentially the same thing. I'm not talking about silicon oil like that used for orings or cypres loops, I'm still talking about a silicon spray lubricant that food grade. The idea with the any silicon is to spray some on a paper towel or cloth and wipe it on, leaving a very thin coat. The food grade just refers to the vehicle used in the spray can.

Terry
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

It's always a good idea to use something that has been tested and proven good. The reason I ask is that I already have it, and have used it a little bit at work. It's bought through Xerox, and they stick a product ID label on it that says silicon spray. However I can't find anything on the chemsearch homepage about what it really contains.

The main purpose for it at work is glas plates on copiers and scanners with document feeders which drages the paper over the glass plate. It keeps the glass plate clean and free of static electrisity.
I've started using it on my monitor, and it works good for that purpose. Doesn't get dirty as fast.

It says it is safe for plastic and a bunch of other materials, but when it comes to skydiving I think twice before experimenting with the lifesaving parts of my rig.

I'll email chemsearch and test it on some leftover cutaway cable to check the effect before appying to any live equipment.

Anyone know what the coating on cutaway cables really are? is it plastic? What kind?

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

"Anyone know what the coating on cutaway cables really are? is it plastic? What kind?"

As far as I am aware, different gear manufacturers use different materials.

see here.
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=113117#113117 for a post from resident gear guru Bill Booth.

Or search for "Teflon", and "Lolon".:)
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson