Jaria007

I'm new!

Hey everyone! My name is Janette (21, Miami, FL) and I took my first tandem on Saturday with Randy at Skydive miami. By the time I landed, I was ready for more. I can't wait to begin training. I am completely lost as to how one becomes a skydiver, but I guess with due time I'll figure it out. My wallet is going to hate me! Hopefull, someday I'll be doing formations and flying like the rest of you.

Welcome to the forums! :)
If you want to come to a fun boogie/party and meet a lot of us, come up to Sebastian to the Pink Mafia boogie on the weekend of Feb. 12-13 (check the Events Forum for more info). Don't worry about not being able to jump with us, there will be others there who have injuries who will be sitting out on the jumping but will join us for the big party at night.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Hey! Thanks for the invite, I just might take you up on that. I've noticed that there are different types of schooling available IAFF, AFF, Expert AFF. I'm not sure which one I should take. I'm guessing if I want a license I should take the expert one. I was looking at your website for the Pink Mafia. I think it's awesome to see so many bad-ass chicks like I want to be!

my first tandem ..at Skydive miami. By the time I landed, I was ready for more.

Did the same almost 3 years ago... They never warned me it might be addictive.
When I landed I said I wanted more, went up twice after that (the same day):P
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Wow! How do you have over 600 jumps in two years? That is amazing? I'm going to have to get a second mortgage, aren't I? :o) I was really tempted to go the same day. They had a sepcial where I could purchase my second Tandem for $99, so I figured I would save it for next month since I want to do the course and need at least one jump every 30 days. Honestly, if I had the finances, I would go ALL THE TIME! Thank you so much everyone for the wonderful welcome to the boards. :P

Hey Janette,

Welcome! And nice picture btw!

You'll find all the information you need in the various forums right here on dz.com. A good idea would be to call a couple of dz's in your area and get some idea of what an AFF course is going to set you back. (IMO that's the best way to become a licensed skydiver). Then get jumping and like Andrea said you'll be doing the boogie thing before you know it.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Well, the closest dropzone is the one I went to. I decided to email them and decided I am going to do the IAFF course. I'm going to do the Tandem Level 2 in 3 weeks and then each jump up to level 9 every 30 days or so. How some of you afford hundreds of jumps in a year is amazing! I'm 21, full time work, full time school, with a mortgage, so I really cant go nuts with the money (each jump is going to put me back like 150). I miss being in the sky sooooo much already. I don't know how I am going to wait 3 weeks. Thanks so much for the tips and good wishes. Like, you said, hopefully I'll be at the Boogies with you guys in no time!

Welcome to the Sane Assylum!

Warning Skydiving can be very addictive.

It is for me. Went for 2 tandems on my birthday in October. I now have 38 jumps. I found AFF to be very easy and full of skills you will use. Did my 3rd 2-way yesterday. It was awesome.

Hope to jump with you soon.

"You did what?!?!"

MUFF #3722, TDSM #72, Orfun #26, Nachos Rodriguez

That's exactly the way that i went through AFF, pretty much one a month until the course was over. After you've completed it you'll still be spending $150 a month but you'll be getting jump tickets for cheaper and thus jumping more. :)

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

I'm going to do the Tandem Level 2 in 3 weeks and then each jump up to level 9 every 30 days or so.

I did IAF for my training too and had to extend the training days to almost every 3-4 weeks because of financing also. Looking back, I would have liked to have done the training jumps a little closer together just for my comfort level. Muscle memory is also a big aspect of this sport and if you can swing getting an extra jump in before 30 days passes, I'd recommend it.
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Ahh, I'm glad to see you did it the way I'm planning to. I read of so many people on the board who do all the levels in a week, and unfortunately that isn't in the cards for me now. Anyhow, I think that doing it all at once wont give me the experience I am looking for, as I think one learns better through time then just rushing into things. Hopefully, once I'm done, it will be cheaper and I can get into the hundreds like you! This year, my taxes for my home went down by $100 a month, so I see it as a sign that I have that money available to me and found something great to use it for. :)

What is muscle memory? Does it have to do with the fact that my first jump made me feel like I worked out for ages? LOL

LOL, no, that's not it but I know what you're talking about! :ph34r: In skydiving, muscle memory has to do with skydiving enough so you instinctively know what to do without having to think about it too much. Things happen so quickly, you have to be able to react to them without thinking such as knowing which handle to pull first in a cutaway situation.

Tandem jumps are the most expensive. Your training jumps should be around $100-$150, and then once you are licensed, a jump with gear rental will be around $40-$50. Then when you have your own gear jumps are only $15- $20!
So don't think you will be paying $150 bucks a pop for the rest of your life! ;)

Welcome to the sport! :)

How some of you afford hundreds of jumps in a year is amazing! I'm 21, full time work, full time school, with a mortgage, so I really cant go nuts with the money (each jump is going to put me back like 150).

"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

what's up Janette girly! You will find ways to come up with jump money, trust me. I'm a college student too so I feel your pain; however, we will not always be in school so we can jump our butts off once college is over. ( at least that's what I'm planning)
My advice is to try and jump as much as you can, you'll probably make friends who'll help ya out when they can. In the meantime, enjoy being a student and be prepared to meet some really cool, crazy people.

have funB|
Sarah

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

I was one the same load with Randy on Thursday. I had a great jump, it felt great to be back in the air. I had a little break over the Holidays & December was a windy month, at least the times I was able to make it to SkyDiveMiami.

Welcome to the forums, you should talk to Chris and see about having video of one of your jumps done or did you do that already when you had your pics taken?

I am always trying to find the time to get away from work to jump.

I got this picture a couple weeks ago, Chris is always pretty funny.

Hey! Where you the first guy that jumped off, because if you were....TOTAL BADASS!! Is that pic you or Chris (I can't wait to do that)? Chis is the camera guy right? I saw you jumped by yourself; you can do that after 8 jumps? You seemed like a pro (here I am going on and on and I don't even know if that was you!) I did get a video made, but I'm waiting for it in the mail. I'll be out there in 2-3 weeks on a Sunday. Happy skies!