scoopnisker

Intro, and a ?? about training

Hi all,

My name's Dan. I'm definitely new to skydiving, but I've gone tandem six times over the past four years. I've been with different people each time, so I've never gone further than just tandem jumps, but I'd really love to learn.

Does anyone know of a dropzone or a company that will teach someone in exchange for doing menial tasks or manual labor?

I learned to hang glide by spending a summer training as a beginners instructor in North Carolina, taking tourists out to fly off sand dunes. It didn't pay anything at all, but all training was free and we "instructors" could fly for free off-hours, in exchange for teaching these little 5-jump lessons to tourists. I left there with a Hang 2 HGA rating (after just one summer and a whole lot of hard work).

Is there anything like this in the skydiving commuinty?

Thanks,
Dan

Check your local DZs. You may be able to become a manifester or you can learn how to pack and pack for jump money. I funded a significan't portion of my jumps until I got my tandem rating, by packing for money.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I have only been in skydiving for a very short time but I will post my observations.

Sometimes if you bring in business they may have a way of reimbersing. However this is normally when you are a jumper or work there.

To get a job or work there. As mentioned above you can learn to be a packer or you can do manifest. In my experience this is sometimes this is a staff member who gets paid and sometimes this is something the jumpers who do not have as much money like to do. I have not been to larger dropzones so I do not know if there is many non-jumpers that do this.

I have seen all the people who are eager to learn the jumpers are also as eager to teach, just remember to learn from alot of people but ask an instructor and use your common sense before you actually put what you learn into practice.

I am guessing (with no knowledge) the difference between your Hang gliding and skydiving, in getting free jumps is that the lessons still cost the dropzone. If there is more people in the plane it cost more fuel. Chutes have a limited life (and students can be hard on them) and these are expensive. And you need an instructor for 9 successful jumps, which unless you befriend someone it costs for their fuel/gear/time.

I am not saying it is not out of the question I am sure there are a few who have done the same, it is definately worth a shot, and even if they do not give you free jumps for working at a dropzone can give you knowledge which can be priceless. Also you may get lucky and the dropzone might support getting you a license.

I would also suggest if you can not get a job at a dropzone, ask if they mind you hanging out at the dropzone. Again you can learn alot this way and when you can afford to jump you will be alot more knowledgable.

Sorry for the long reply and sorry if i am telling you how to suck eggs. Just slap me in PM.

Thanks a lot for the info and suggestions, guys. I'll probably start with checking Skydive Jersey Shore down here by the beach, but probably not until spring. It's just so cold here now.

I wouldn't mind doing manifest. It would be great to learn how to pack and make some money doing that, but I'll clean out the gutters and scrape the toilets if they'll teach me to jump.

Thanks again!
Dan

If you really want to jump I would not let the cold be the only factor. Of course depending on how cold is cold. But here in Australia it gets down to about -5 up top and I just put extra layers of clothes on. Also its so much easier to pack in the cold than it is when dripping with sweat. Again depending on the dz and where you live but I would not let the cold be the only reason not to go to the dz.

Anyone know the little rule of thumb about how cold it is up at 10000 feet?

I do not know if most people jump in winter. I saw a post about some people in norway jumping at -20. What do other people do in winter?

The people I jump with just put layers on, but there is not even a chance of getting snow anywhere near the dropzone.

Really? I jumped in snow once. In CA. We went through a cloud, and there was snow coming down on the other side. I didn't think it was the best idea in the world, but the guy who took me said it was OK.

Too cold, in my opinion. Down jackets under jumpsuits? Er... No, I'd rather not. But again, maybe I'm just being too sensative about it.