jedisk8r

Newbie Ready To Fly!

What up...

I did my first tandem jump at Skydive Orange in VA this weekend and I am hooked. I can't stop reviewing in my mind the entire experience and am stoked on going again, especially the idea of going solo.

I really want to do AFF so I can go on my own, but I must say I am nervous. I suppose what is really getting to me is the idea of a malfunction and the fact that until I learn to pack my own rig, I am relying on someone else to do it.

Is this normal? Have most of you experienced the same level of apprehension when you first started out? How long did it last for you? what are some things you found useful to overcome these feelings?

Any help will be greatly appreciated because I am really amped on being able to do this for the rest of my life.

Thanks All..

-Todd B|

"Life Moves Pretty Fast, If You Don't Look Around Once In A While You Might Miss It!"

Welcome to the forums and congrats for your 1st jump.
Yep, I think it's normal to be nervous about that... Natural.
And you'll certainly be nervous too when you jump your 1st packjob.
At my DZ it's one of the first things you learn. your 3rd jump is your packjob... The 1st is alraedy packed, the 2nd is packed in front of you by an instructor, you pack the 3rd under upervision...
enjoy every second of it and dont hesitate to ask questions. Some answers are to be taken with moderation, never take things for granted, always ask a backup from your instructor. Even if the person who answered you seems pretty sure of his answer.

take care.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Welcome and congrats on your jump. I'm still working on my A, and I kind of know how your feel. You are dependent on others entirely to have packed your equipment correctly. But, you know, these are experienced packers.

I am taking my packing course on Monday, and I'm nervous to jump the rig afterwards. But I am looking forward to learning about all parts of the canopy and rig and seeing how it all fits together, comes apart, etc. I think this will put me in a more knowledgeable position when it comes to a cutaway situation.

Anyway, you'll do great in AFF. Have fun up there. Blue skies! :)
"If the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girl's sports such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing." - Homer Simpson

Being nervous is perfectly normal, I only have 35 jumps and am just now getting rid of the butterflies. What really made me feel better was jumping with a guy who was coaching me late last summer. We jumped together again a few weeks ago and he had taken a layoff of a few months, he was way more nervous than me. Staying away from caffiene before a jump seems to help me stay more calm too. Just think about how much fun it is, but at the same time expect a malfunction on every jump. That way you will be ready if it does happen. Stay safe and BLUE SKIES!
Brad

First, let me say I really appreciate everyone's feedback so far, it makes me feel much more comfortable.

Second, it seems the essence of the skydiving community very closely resembles the vibe of the sk8boarding world in respect to the pure nature of the sport. And as I skate and know that one of the reasons I ever began skating was because of that energy, I am excited and eager to learn more.

With that said, if anyone feels there is anything they can offer me as far as insight to the new world I have found in skydiving feel free to share it with me at your convenience.

I am glad to understand the passion and look forward to Blue Skies.

"Life Moves Pretty Fast, If You Don't Look Around Once In A While You Might Miss It!"

I suppose what is really getting to me is the idea of a malfunction and the fact that until I learn to pack my own rig, I am relying on someone else to do it.

hehehehehe...you have got to be kidding me! I always have someone pack for me! It is the only time I can rest inbetween jumps...why would I want to waste time packing! I know I am lazy, but it is mostly because I can't pack anymore after haveing knee surgery. Besides those packers at my DZ have more pack jobs than I have strands of hair.

Is this normal? Have most of you experienced the same level of apprehension when you first started out? How long did it last for you? what are some things you found useful to overcome these feelings?

Apprehension is the reason why this sport is sooooo exciting (, especially when you are starting out). Just enjoy and accept it, keep your ears open, and learn as much as you can about skydiving.

You shouldn't ever really "overcome" the emotions involved with skydiving. Being able to manage the emotion is the real challenge. Like I said, just listen to your instructors and make the skyjumps with vigor and it will all come to you more easily than expected.

Second, it seems the essence of the skydiving community very closely resembles the vibe of the sk8boarding world in respect to the pure nature of the sport. And as I skate and know that one of the reasons I ever began skating was because of that energy, I am excited and eager to learn more.

I skated throughout my entire teens. Hmmmm, your right - there is similarity in the feeling of freedom between skydiving and skating. In fact, a lot of the people in skydiving are off-season snowboarders or x-skaters themselves. Even DZ-owner John Eddowes used to rip at half-pipe. But it is different. There's something entirely more essential or indispensable about the sport compared to any other. If you stick around, you'll begin to understand what I mean. In general, it could be that we are a tighter/smaller group because of the danger involved.

Welcome and good luck to you. :)