skydreamerxxx

frustration & anxiety

Welcome!
I would never attempt to pin down a "favorite" part of skydiving, or flying, but for me, landing -- both a parachute and a Cessna -- are verrry enjoyable parts for me.

I think that if you keep your focus on how much fun the ground-rush of landing really is, you will have an easier time facing the challenge of getting it right.

I was very luck because in my upbringing, my dad learned to fly, so he took me flying all the time during junior high and high school. I was taught early on how landings are done -- and truth is, they've very similar between Cessnas and parachutes. The same dynamics apply. You might even do well to study landings in an airplane flight manual! The principles will be explained very clearly there.

I suggest that with the number of jumps you have, you should enlist help in finding your own gear -- which will probably be zero-p. Once you leave F-111 behind, some of your difficulties will disappear. The landings become less traumatic, and at a less-steep angle to the ground. You will then learn to plane-out your momentum and smoothly flare so that your feet... just... touch. When it happens that way, it's a beautiful thing.

The whole sport is beautiful. Stick with it, and get instruction to help you.
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

I'm newer (4 jumps) and was surprised to see how many people have problems farther along standing their landings - I feel a bit better now! I started a work-out routine to strengthen my upper body just to be able to control my 220 better - I'm determined to not let it get the better of me before I go to a smaller canopy.

Thanks to all for their experiences - the forums really help us newbies see we are by far not alone with grass stains on our derriers!

Here are a couple of places that you can get videos from, Square1.com or Paragear.com . I'm sure there are many more but at least that is a place to start.
Good luck.

*****Why would anyone jump from a perfectly good airplane? Because it isn't much fun if it's broke.****

I feel your pain and frustration friend....I have 18 jumps in and have only stood up 5 landings.....and all I hear is practice and time....which I belive. For me it is just timing my flare right and being able to judge my distance to the ground......I have found flying and landing my canopy the hardest and scariest part of skydiving for me......thank god I am good at my PLF;)
Just keep trying and listening to your jumpmasters...
You will get it.......as will I.
Not to be mean but when experienced jumpers crash out on their butts and are not hurt I just chuckle...it makes me remember no matter how many jumps you have in you are not going to stand up all of your landings.......

skygirl1
" Mean people SUCK!"

attached is my name as tandem is my game - so far.......

I got the bug late in life but oh well. :P

we will see what happens. if it remains tandems, i still love it. :o

Have a great time no matter how many times you go. That is what live is about.

Live, love, laugh, be happy.....;););)

"HI!"
Welcome to DZ.com.
Did you learn to walk and run quickly, did you learn to ride a bike without bumps and bruises???? Well it can be hard to learn to fly a canopy too, and even once you get the initial hang of it you still will have landings that are not pretty. We all have'em once in awhile. You've received some excellent advice about coaching with video, atleast get someone knowledgeable to critique your landings.
Good luck and I like your determination, it'll pay off;).

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868