marcorenaldo

Slider Gromits

Having just moved from a student rig to my own rig, Reflex, and Hornet 190. What disturbed me on my first opening , was how far the slider came down the risers, particuarly the rear riser.Being used to a student slider with smaller gromits, the slider coming down as far as the steering toggles was somewhat disconcerting.In fact it took me a good 20seconds or so to push the slider up and collapse it. Is this normal, should i worry? should the slider sit just above the steering toggles in flight, what are the risks of it dropping below the toggles.
The planet is yours, the planet is ours, the planet is red.

Search the incidents forum for "Holly Kish."

You need to keep your slider either above the top of your risers (i.e. rapide links) or collapse it and pull it over your steering toggles and out of the way.

Brent

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

It is at this point that I must say, thank God for the incidents forum and your suggestion, Brent. My gear has the exact same configuration as Holly's did, and I am unable to reach my slider to pull it down. I know that it can be collapsed and stowed, as the first person who jumped it did, but I am unable to. I am going to talk to my rigger about safeguarding my gear against something like that.

Kelly

The fact that the slider came that far down isn't a problem in itself. What could happen is that it could come down so far so fast that it could pop one or both of your toggles... Now you're spinning and can't release the other toggle because the grommet is in the way :<

Many people collapse their slider and then slide it down passed their toggles, as far down as it'll go and have it float behind their head in order to get more riser separation and less drag.

There are several things you can do. If you've got hard links (Rapide links) you can get plastic bumpers for them, that usually stops the slider before it gets to the riser. If you've got SLINKS, you can get these little "hat" things that cover the SLINKS and can also stop an advancing slider. Your rigger can also probably sew something onto the top of your risers, but it's not usually a good idea.

Talk to your local rigger about what you might be able to do if you feel that the slider on the risers is not something you're comfortable with, as I mentioned, most people eventually fly with the slider below the toggles.

-Rory

Having just moved from a student rig to my own rig, Reflex, and Hornet 190. What disturbed me on my first opening , was how far the slider came down the risers, particuarly the rear riser.Being used to a student slider with smaller gromits, the slider coming down as far as the steering toggles was somewhat disconcerting.In fact it took me a good 20seconds or so to push the slider up and collapse it. Is this normal, should i worry? should the slider sit just above the steering toggles in flight, what are the risks of it dropping below the toggles.

You be the king and I'll overthrow your government. --KRS-ONE

You need shorter risers. See how far you are from reaching your slider, then subtract that number of inches from your existing risers, that should be the length you should order. It's common for ladies and short guys to jump shorty risers. It will make your rig safer, and you'll be more comfortable under canopy.

Get new risers. I got brand new risers with hard housings for the cutaway cable from Velocity Sports (maker of the Infinity) that are absolutly bombproof and everyone on the DZ that sees them wants a set for only $100 plus shipping. That was with the the Stainless steel option too.

Get new risers today if your current risers do not have hard housings in them anyways. Talk to Kelly or any of the guys at VSE and tell them the length issue and they will hook you up with custom colored risers in less then a few weeks :)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Yeah, the hard housings go in the risers, and help to reduce pull forces in some cutaway situations. It's a good idea to get them. At a light wingloading, it might not matter, but if you're ordering new, you might as well.

Risers and toggles (velcroless) are around $100 and you can get them in a short time. If your existing risers are in good shape, you could sell them on your DZ. Even if you got only $20 for them, it's 20% of the cost of new risers.