Yammin

Starting AFF soon...

Hi everyone! I am doing my AFF, very soon in Empuria Brava... Done 3 RAPS! I'm sure you had this questions lot's of times, but... Any special advices? Has anyone been there before and would be willing to share his/her experience! I am a bit worried about my exits... :S

Welcome to skydiving!

I finished my AFF course a few weeks ago, and my advice is to relax, and not be so nervous. When you make you're first few jumps, of course you are going to be nervous. But don't let that effect your performance. When learning to freefall it is very important that you stay relaxed.

You will probably be pretty nervous on your first couple of jumps, but what I've found is that once you jump out of the plane, the fear goes away and you are faced with the exciting fact that you just jumped out of a plane! Enjoy it...

One more thing...don't second guess your instructors. These guys have made many many jumps, and from what I understand these guys have to go through a lot to get their AFF rating, so they certainly know what they are talking about.

In terms of the social aspect of skydiving, if people hang out at the DZ after the last load of the day, then definitely hang out with them and buy your instructors plenty of beer. They will appreciate it, and you will learn a lot from them in that more relaxed setting. You'll learn a lot more than the student you just shows up for an AFF level and then leaves, without hanging out with the regulars.

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Ah that's just drunk talk, sweet beautiful drunk talk. - Barney Gumbal

Welcome to skydiving! I just finished AFF, and the best advice I can give is to focus on your body position at pull time. On my AFF 5 I wasn't paying much attention (I had already done all the "hard" stuff) and went into a tumble when I went to reach/pull. It scared the shit out of me. I will NEVER again forget that pull time is one of the most critical parts of the dive. Have fun!B|

Hi! You're gonna love it, believe me! I did my AFF with Kevin McCarthy in Empuria, it was the best decision I ever made! (Shameless plug:P) OK, now for the advice...
Go to the Surf Inn lots and lots and lots. And the Orange Kiwi. Just kiddin', just remember to relax and enjoy it (relaxation in freefall was a bit of an issue for me). I went over all by my lonesome, and still had a fantastic time, met a bunch of great people and finished AFF in 3 days (including ground school!) I'd be back over there right now if it wasn't for Uni...:(

good decision to do it in empuria, i made it there, too (felix, you are the greatest!) simply go and enjoy the rest, w/o tramonta, life in empuria is sometimes thrilling. even in fall, you'll have a good chance for perfect weather there, may all skygods watch over you and drop a line after 'all is over'

dudeist skydiver # 3105

To quote the side of the plane i jumped out of....

SHUT UP AND JUMP!

Hehehe, in all seriousness, it's not bad. I remember that when I first jumped out, I did the count with my instructors, jumped, and then prayed I knew what I was getting into. What followed was the time of my life!!

Have a blast!