TheShrubber

Could not jump

Jan --

With regard to that picture . . . your expression is, um, intense to say the least! (veins and eyes popping out . . . cool! Nice, uh, arch!)

Glad you could drop by and give a few words of encouragement.

Paul,
Have you noticed that her intensity is about the same level today?:S
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

i felt that way on my fourth jump, which was AFF3 for me. it was my first time jumping from a cessna 182, a plane i never jumped before. i consider myself pretty athletic and adventuous: i am a snowboarding instructor and race moutain bikes, but i was saying "maybe this isnt for me". i eventually did go on with the dive, but i was close to not going. we all deal with fear in our own way. fear is there for a reason, its a circuit breaker in your brain for when your ass is about to go on with out it... nothing wrong with that:)

I stayed in the plane on my 3rd AFF jump. It was my 9th jump total (5 tandems, 1 solo drouge, 2 AFF). My jump master (Nikki Fagen) at The Ranch got up and asked me 'Are you ready to skydive!?". I wimpered a response 'yeah....'. She asked me again wanting a hoorah!. I gave a slightly less feable response. As she was walking toward the door I smacked her on the ass and told her I wasn't going to go. She double checked and when she was sure there was no way in hell I was getting out of the plane she sat me down, buckled me up and rode down with me. At no time did she ever make me feel bad. She was sure it was something she did/didn't do or said/didn't say. She was upset because she thought she scared me out of the sport. I was at The Ranch with a bunch of other friends. I watched them make 3 AFF jumps during the day. I sat and watched, slowly feeling better about my decision. On or around Wednesday the following week I called up The Ranch and signed up for some jumps. I asked the girl on the phone to make sure Nikki knows that I am coming back and I want her to take me up again. Long story short, I finished AFF about a month later. 5 years later I'm at 300 +- jumps with my D license.

I stayed in the plane a second time on my 120ish jump. Looking out I was not confortable with the spot and clouds in the area. I didn't know where I was even though the very experience video/staff jumper on the plane assured me I was in the right place. I stayed in and rode the plane down. I turned their 4-way into a 3-way. They weren't too upset... That was at 100+ jumps. Don't ever feel that you 'have' to leave the plane. If you are not comfortable just let the others jump and ride it down. I think I was more scared coming down in the plane that last time than I would have been if I jumped. The experienced video guy barely made it back to the DZ....