Paul306

Gettin a liscense

Hey everyone, I just completed the AM-490 freefall program for Air Force cadets at the AF Academy where we had 5 solo jumps at 4500 feet AGL and I was wondering what it would take and approx. how much money it would take for me to get my A Liscense in parachuting, any info would be great, thanks.

Congratulations on completing the USAF academy program. I have a cousin there with the last name of Conetta.

As to answering your question. the quip is "Around $1,500in the civilian realm and 1/2 your spare change for the rest of your life." But in the academy, I'm sure that your club arrangements will make it less costly.

A-license requirements can be found in USPA documentation at www.uspa.org.

Learn more about the sport. Go to your library and borrow the books on the sport!
Mike Turoff
Instructor Examiner, USPA
Co-author of Parachuting, The Skydiver's Handbook

Learn more about the sport. Go to your library and borrow the books on the sport!

Aw, go ahead and buy a copy. I'm sure the authors would appreciate the jump money. ;)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Hi Paul,

Congrats on AM-490! Are you a cadet at the Academy, or ROTC? If you are in Colorado, I recommend checking out Skydive The Rockies. The owner there is a former staff member for the Academy program, and knows the 490 program very well.

the website is here: http://www.skydivetherockies.com/

There is a special student progression that they do there that is specifically meant for AM-490 graduates.

If you're not in Colorado, it might be worth it to go there to do your student progression. If that isn't feasible, maybe have your DZO or S&TA at your local DZ call Bob Pierotti at STR and talk with him about what AM-490 did for you and how to get you rolling.

If you have anymore questions, please PM me, I'm more than happy to answer them.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Congrats to you. I am in the air force and jump. I just got my A-license and it cost around 1200 dollars in student jumps and training classes. I went the Advanced Freefall Progression route but most go the Advanced freefall way. I finished in 21 jumps, get the A-license proficiency card off USPA.COM and find a local dropzone or one that are comfortable with and see what they offer for student progression. If you have the cash you can get it done quickly so long as you listen and do what it is your Jumpmaster tells you to do. Of course after student status you need money for beer and your rig. Blue skies!