ifics

Reserve loop damage on Mirage G3!?!?!?!?

Last Saturday I was checking my gear and noticed that my closing loop was damaged. I grounded myself until a rigger had a chance to fix it. On the reserve flap there was a little mark that is just about where the loop would be when its closed. The rigger there and a lot of other people said they have never seen that happen. I take great care with my rig and store it properly so I don't have a clue as to why it would happen. I don't have my rig with me right now so I am not able to take a picture of the mark on the reserve flap. Has anyone seen this before?

P.S I linked the pictures so you can see them full size..

http://www.m0reifics.com/images/loop1.jpg
http://www.m0reifics.com/images/loop2.jpg
http://www.m0reifics.com/images/loop3.jpg

I'm no rigger but that looks like some fairly "normal" wear on the loop. It is excessive looking and I might check the flap to make sure nothing is causing it in particular. How long has that rig been packed? Was the closing loop replaced at the last repack? A small piece of tape might help the situation.

As white as that loop looks, I'd say it probably was changed at the last repack. It might have gotten damaged removing the pull-up cord...perhaps the damage was hidden until the loop rotated a bit or something.

...or it could be from the flap...

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

Your rig's flap appears to be in immaculate condition, there's nothing there that should create the type of fraying your loop had.

What it appears to be, is the pull up cord stretched the loop to the point of fraying, the loop could have been stretched through the grommets, or it was damaged with a temp pin. This is all done during the closing sequence. A rigger can make a temporary 'cover-up' by applying silicone to the loop, but the damage will eventually show.

Just my opinion from what I saw.

Side flaps on Mirages are far tighter than most other rigs. It is very easy to damage closing loops while closing Mirages. Patience, graceful technique and a perfectly smooth temporary pin help, but it is still too easy to fray the loop.

riggerrob
Mirage owner since 1985

I agree. I was referring to his pin cover flap (having no significant marks on it to rub on the loop and cause fraying after the rig was closed) in case it was unclear. Anyway, yeah. :)
Mirage owner since 2000. :P