yffe

Imitate a bartack

What is the best way to imitate a bartack with a household sewing machine? Just sew zigzag back and forth three times or straight lock stitch on the first and then zigzag over it? I could not find anything on this in pointers either.

Call the manufacturer of the item you are working on. Tell them the repair you are making, and ask them if you can substitute a tight zigzag for the bartack. If the answer is yes, they should give you a specific stitch width, spi, and stitch length, and hopefully answer any other questions you have.
Arrive Safely

John

Depending on what you're working on, make a zig zag stitch, pick up the foot, move the fabric back to the starting point and zigzag right back over the top. Sew right over the top of the loose thread.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I'm jonesin to try that. I would just cut the threads and zigzagged over it. I wonder if there's some sort of reasoning behind it.

Reasoning. It's easy and locks the thread on both ends. If you cut the thread before sewing over the top, you have to hold the tread again. Give it a go and you'll see that it locks both ends nicely. No need to back stitch.

Uses: Most every thing. If it doesn't require a specific pattern accourding the manufacturer, it's the shiz... (do I owe beer for the first time I've used that played out term? )
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

The bartack in question is the attachment of the tape that holds the plastic handle on a pilot chute.

You know a box x or even a really really tiny 3 point stitch pattern should be more than sufficent for this purpose.
if your hearts set on a bartack and your machine has replacable cams or different stitch styles built in, try using a very tight 308 zig zag it's way stronger than a bartack.

Mick.

I actually went and bought a special foot for my Singer 5830 with a channel through the center to help keep lines from slipping when trying to bartack them. I found the best way to do Microline was to use a very short, narrow zigzag. I looked at the way PD did their bartacks on lines and was able to very closely mimic them. They are about 3/4 of an inch long and the threads start and end in the center of the stitch. You start in the center, move forward half way, then back up the entire length of the stitch, then move forward half a length so that the end stitch stops right on the starting stitch.

_
| | < - forward
^ V
| |
start -> | | | <- stop
| ^
V |
backup -> |_|

This works with a variable width zig-zag and variable length stitch, I imagine the same concept can be applied to a bartack on any other kind of surface.

-Rory

Dig on the ASCII art, yo.

What is the best way to imitate a bartack with a household sewing machine? Just sew zigzag back and forth three times or straight lock stitch on the first and then zigzag over it? I could not find anything on this in pointers either.

You be the king and I'll overthrow your government. --KRS-ONE