Tasadin

Brit finding my feet!

Hi all, I'm new to this!! I did 10 static lines last year and was getting hung up on DP's so I have taken the plunge and start AFF at Sebastian in 10 days - I cant wait!! I got three weeks there so I hope to get my concol's and maybe FS1 cracked too, plus anything else I can like packing certs n stuff, fingers crossed. Anyone here going to be there round then?? - always useful to put names n faces to a post!

Home DZ is undecided but I hope to hit Sebastian 3 times a year and although I'm from Scotland and living just outside Glasgow Ill probably jump down at Weston on the green.

Looking forward to making new friends!:P

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."

Have a great time. There's another DZ.commer coming over from Britain about the same time -- Zeemax. You might want to PM him if you don't already know each other.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Congrats! Welcome to skydiving! I'm sure you will enjoy Sebastian, but don't plan on just Sebastian 3 times a year. There are many great drop zones in the US, many up and down the east coast if travel is easy for you there. I'm curious - why did you pick Sebastian to do your AFF?:)

Run by an ex brit, recommended as one of the only associated BPA schools in the BPA mag, easy to get to, and the most impressive email reply being very enthusiastic, flexible and giving me the warmest gut feeling. Instinct is a biggie in my book, lol especially with my job.

"I'm from Scotland and living just outside Glasgow Ill probably jump down at Weston on the green."

Just curious, why the large travel to Weston?
You have 2-3 DZs within 1-2 hours drive (depending where you live 'just outside Glasgow), and to get to Weston, you will pass a good few others.....

Either way, welcome to the forums, from a fellow Scot.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Well in that case I'll take advice,

My reasoning was thus, I can get a lift to 12.5k for £10 at Weston because I'm military - all be it I gotta drive 5 hrs. So if I make 8 jumps in a weekend I have more or less paid for my petrol because the general price at Strathallen and St Andrew's appears to be £16 or more. I looked at Strathallen and St Andrews and I would certainly be looking to camp overnight and whilst both offer it Strathallen doesnt seem to have a bar so I dont know how good the social scene is after and St Andrews does so that may not be too bad.

Don't know if that makes any sense but I wanna be able to party after and camp and keep jump costs down. I agree Weston isnt ideal for the distance but having jumped there already I do know a few people and it seems that the general consencus is to jump regualrly at one place so you get to know everyone.

Willing to take other advice tho!!!

10 quid a jump is hard to argue with Tas. Just be careful on those long drives home back up the M6. I find it hard enough driving up to Aberdeen after a weekend of mischief at the DZ.

There is a pretty lively social scene at both Strath (the 'Star' in Auchterarder is their second clubhouse)and St Andys, try it out sometime, or pop across for the day, maybe sometime the weather is iffy, or you can't spare a whole weekend. They are social people and they don't eat strangers..;)
Hell, the worst that can happen is you make a few extra friends.:)
Maybe cya around somewhere,
D

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Tas

Welcom to DZ.com, and to the sport.
I jump down at Weston pretty much every weekend so will probably see you there, social life down there is pretty good if Tomo or Scouse will let you leave the bar....

Nick
Gravity- It's not just a good idea, it's the LAW!

Thanks guys I think, I may well do as you say and pop across east when the weather's a bit worse and see whats what. As much as jumping out the aircraft I'm looking forward to making new m8's, the social circle tends to diminish when ur away at sea!! HEHE i've had experience of Tomo at the bar and hmm could make the drives intereting but I reckon i'll be staying sunday nights to recover/get decent kip and drive the monday - makes it a long weekend too which is good!! Once I'm back I'll drop you both a PM if thats OK, when i got it in one sock, unfortunately I'm straight into work on arrival for two weeks :(, but it'll be nice to go and jump knowing theres people I've already spoken too!!

Welcome my friend why not come down to Netheravon a little further but military get £9 a jump not bad bunk house DZ bar, every skydive dicipline going and gr8 fun. See ya sometime soon. P.s do u know u can do AFF at netheravon as military for £800 just though I would let u know.

www.netheravon.com

Peace

Grant
Grant a.k.a "The Wookster"
Euphoria freefly
http://www.freeflyeuphoria.com

Always nice to see a few more Brits - we'll take over the world one day!!!;)

Like you I got stuck on DP's - but eventually I got off them and Freefell - is that the past tense of freefall - and now I'm a cat 8 skydiving - woo Hoo.

Oh and good luck with the AFF.

----------
Ben G
Still Sinking :-(

Run by an ex brit, recommended as one of the only associated BPA schools in the BPA mag, easy to get to, and the most impressive email reply being very enthusiastic, flexible and giving me the warmest gut feeling. Instinct is a biggie in my book, lol especially with my job.

I did my AFF in Seb. last sept. I felt the same about choosing a DZ - it just felt right. I was not dissapointed. I'm sure most of the DZ's in florida are just great as well but Mick is an excellent instructor and obviously has knowledge of BPA regs and DZ's back in the UK. Everyone was really friendly and helpfull. I'm glad I went there.

I can definately recommend the Wind tunnel (SkyVenture) in Orlando. I actually went there before I'd done my first jump due to bad weather. As luck would have it , Steve (top bloke) of Sebastian XL came along for a laugh and to give us newbie's some coaching - wow, can that guy move! can't say enough about how valuable that tunnel time was.

I stayed in a self catering apartment right on the inlet. If you get a chance, take a kayak out, there's some great wildlife out there - you might even see Manatee (although I'm not sure the time of year is right). All-in-all a lovely place. Enjoy!