RDG

Pricing a used canopy

Is there a rule of thumb?

Not really. There are a number of factors that come into play when determining what a canopy is worth. Number of jumps on the canopy, number of jumps on the lines, date of manufacture, manufacturer and model (ie in most areas a PD Spectre has a higher resale value than an AR Triathlon), where the canopy was primarily jumped (canopies jumped mainly in desert areas tend to wear faster than canopies jumped in more grassy areas), any damage to the canopy (ie patches; take into account number, size and who did the work), original purchase price, current average price for a new one...

A somewhat reliable rule of thumb is to subtract 20-25% from the manufacturers retail price, then subtract $1 per jump, or $100 per year whichever is more.

Of course this is just a guideline, and will change according to what the market will bear. If there is a glut of equipment on the market prices will drop. Used Cypres Units are increasing in value right now because new units are more expensive due to forign exchange rates.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I once began to make a spreadsheet which you can plot in the data for all your gear to estimate the resell value.
Never made formulas for AAD and container, but here is the little work I did attached.

To calculate main value I've considdered:
- fabric value
- lineset value
- age depreaciation and value of custom colors
- cost of neccesary repairs.

I think this calculation will give a price that a seller can reasonably excpect.
However I don't have that much gear knowledge. This is just based on me using my common sense.
It should be possible to complete this spreadsheet and make it pretty fair.
Any takers?

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.