G.A.S.

International assurance!!!!

Hi to everyone!!!

I have recently noticed that my international cover assurance has a very poor medical assistance outside my country ( maximum of 6000 euro )!!! Please could anyone help me with information about different assurance companies that cover our sport?

I am a skydiver from the northern part of Spain!! Because of the proximity I go 90% of the days to the southern part of France!! I hope that me and my friends should not use never the medical assistance, but in case of need it I prefer to have a good cover!!!!

Thank you for all!!

Blue Sky

Please could anyone help me with information about different assurance companies that cover our sport?

IHI-Bupa seem to provide very good cover. ~110Euro for cover for a year with as many trips as you want, they cover everything except motorsport and war zones and they pay the full amount of your medical bills with very few exceptions.

I've not had to claim, but a friend did and said they paid for his heli rescue and hospital bills with no hassle.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

IHI - used to be one of the few companies that covered BASE as well ...

I have insured with them several times and they have always been efficient and happy to answer any specific questions that i've had.

It's worth noting that i haven't had to make a claim but it is my understanding from people that have, that IHI handled their claim efficiently.

Also worth noting that unless the cover has changed they cover you for medical bills and repatriation but that's about it - For instance even with their travel insurance added they only cover you for a total of $2000 worth of clothing / gear etc - which is very low considering the value of rigs etc and means that you would be advised to either increase the total value of goods insured (if possible) or have a separate travel policy which is more comprehensive and use the IHI policy to cover your medical bills which your standard policy will probably not cover if they occur whilst doing extreme sports...

Best story i have heard was about the guy who had to go to hospital after breaking his leg on a jumping holiday.

When the insurance company asked how it happened (extreme sports were excluded from cover on his policy) - he simply explained that he fell off the steps of a Caravan.

The insurance didn't ask any more except for the address of where it occurred and he didn't volunteer any other info - so they paid in full!!! :P:P:P

In Reply To
Please could anyone help me with information about different assurance companies that cover our sport?

IHI-Bupa seem to provide very good cover. ~110Euro for cover for a year with as many trips as you want, they cover everything except motorsport and war zones and they pay the full amount of your medical bills with very few exceptions.

I've not had to claim, but a friend did and said they paid for his heli rescue and hospital bills with no hassle.

I also use IHI, we had to pat much more than 110 euro, we paid about NZ700 for about 200 days.

I have just purchased a short term (13 days) policy for my trip to Dubai, it cost me AUS160 including baggage coverage.

We used it in the USA when my wife was sick, with no problems, just go to a hospital rather than a medical centre as the hospital bills IHI directly and a medical centre will make you pay, then IHI re-emburses you!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Not sure I fully understand where you are coming from...

But if you are a Spanish/EU National and are enrolled in your country's medical insurance system, you are fully covered under the "European Directive for Cross-Border Health Care."

That means you are basically covered for all medical emergencies in all 27-member states, as well as, to a lesser extent, being able to seek fully reimbursable medical treatment in any of the member states (aka, "medical tourism").

I take it that you have a EU Health Insurance Card (EHIC, w/ chip); you can use it from Spain to Norway to get medical treatment.

AMERICANS, EAT YOUR HEART OUT!!!!

Hi to everyone!!!

I have recently noticed that my international cover assurance has a very poor medical assistance outside my country ( maximum of 6000 euro )!!! Please could anyone help me with information about different assurance companies that cover our sport?

I am a skydiver from the northern part of Spain!! Because of the proximity I go 90% of the days to the southern part of France!! I hope that me and my friends should not use never the medical assistance, but in case of need it I prefer to have a good cover!!!!

Thank you for all!!

Blue Sky

IHI - used to be one of the few companies that covered BASE as well ...

Used to be? Fuck, what did I miss? (Edit: Just had a look at the current terms and conditions on the website, couldn't see an exclusion for BASE or anything relating to it...)

Also worth noting that unless the cover has changed they cover you for medical bills and repatriation but that's about it - For instance even with their travel insurance added they only cover you for a total of $2000 worth of clothing / gear etc - which is very low considering the value of rigs etc and means that you would be advised to either increase the total value of goods insured (if possible) or have a separate travel policy which is more comprehensive and use the IHI policy to cover your medical bills which your standard policy will probably not cover if they occur whilst doing extreme sports...

Yeah, I've only got it for the medical side.

But if you are a Spanish/EU National and are enrolled in your country's medical insurance system, you are fully covered under the "European Directive for Cross-Border Health Care."

That means you are basically covered for all medical emergencies in all 27-member states, as well as, to a lesser extent, being able to seek fully reimbursable medical treatment in any of the member states (aka, "medical tourism").

No, you're not. Depending on the country you visit or the injury/illness you suffer you could still find yourself facing a treatment bill and/or receiving substandard care if you don't have any supplementary insurance.

Typical Anglo-Saxon fear mongering.

See, http://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=559&langId=en.
I think you will find the out-of-pocket expenses in France for emergency treatment quite reasonable (that is, there aren't any), and the quality of care provided second to none.

No, you're not. Depending on the country you visit or the injury/illness you suffer you could still find yourself facing a treatment bill and/or receiving substandard care if you don't have any supplementary insurance.

Unfortunately 2 friends of mine have had soft accidents on landings!!! I staid with one of them waiting in the hospital in France and before leaving it we had to pay for the services ( 1 hour of hospital and 1 x-ray photo 80 € aprox ). With the European card you have 10% discount on the bill!!!

¡ Hola Gorka !

Si vas mucho por Francia a saltar, sácate la licencia francesa, tienes mucha más cobertura, y por cuatro duros. Échale un ojo a www.paracaidismopirineos.com y habla con Miguel Ángel Domínguez, el jefe del paraclub. Tiene muchos franceses trabajando ahí y te podrá informar muy bien.

Espero haberte ayudado.

Un saludo y buenos saltos
Juan Fraile-Nuez
Military Parachute Rigger (ret.)
Spain, Europe

Hi to everyone!!!

Thank you for all!!

Blue Sky

I assume 6000 euro is enough for French ambulance to drop you just over the border to Spain... :P

O.K. in case of soft accidents!! But if its a hard accident and if you have to be evacuated by helicopter and have to stay a several days in the hospital or need surgery?

You may have 2 big problems:

1-Health problems.
2-Economical problems, you can´t go to do your job and you have to pay a huge bill!!!!

another aspect to consider is 3rd party liability: if you injure someone else when skydiving. your normal insurance will not cover that (since related to dangerous activities) and the french social security has nothing to do with it.

probably not a huge issue in france but definitely one when going to the USA where lawsuits can be extremely expensive.

just get the european medical card and you will only have to pay what you would have paid in Spain if you hurt yourself.
http://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=559&langId=es

¡Hola Gorka!

Te remito el siguiente enlace para que mires si te viene bien sacarte la Tarjeta Sanitaria Europea. Antes tenías que ir a cualquier centro de la Seguridad Social y solicitar un formulario para asistencia internacional en caso de emergencia (creo que era el E-100). Ahora es mucho más fácil.

http://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=559&langId=es

Espero haberte ayudado.

Un abrazo y buenos saltos
Juan Fraile-Nuez
Military Parachute Rigger (ret.)
Spain, Europe

Related Documents

EHIC flyer

EHIC poster

Related Links

UK National Health Service country-by-country guide

Summaries of EU legislation - Social protection

The European Health Insurance Card

The European Health Insurance Card makes it easier for people from the European Union’s 27 Member States plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland to access health care services during temporary visits abroad.

So, if you are going on holiday, a business trip or a short break or are heading off to study abroad, remember to make sure that you have obtained a card. It will help save you time, hassle and money if you fall ill or suffer an injury while abroad.

What are the practical benefits of the card?

The card ensures that you will get the same access to public sector health care (e.g. a doctor, a pharmacy, a hospital or a health care centre) as nationals of the country you are visiting. If you have to receive medical attention in a country that charges for health care, you will be reimbursed either immediately, or after you go home to your own country. The idea is that you are given the care you need to allow you to continue with your stay.

However, it is important to note that the card does not cover your health care costs while abroad if you are travelling in order to obtain treatment for an illness or injury that you had before travelling. Nor does the card cover you for private sector health care providers.

Some websites are known to be offering the European Health Insurance Card in exchange for money. Please note that the card is available free of charge through your local health authority.