northcave

New to base - comments

Hi all. I havent even passed my AFF yet but planning on it in the next few weeks and hopefully then buiying my own rig. I have been looking about and finding out what rig i would get and how versitile it would be.

Obviously would need to be used for general sky diving but i would also like to do some ground launching considering i have a place in the french alps and mountains are everywhere.

Anyway what kinda chute do you need for base? Is there any specific type or can you use a normal chute for all purpose skydiving? I know you should learn to walk before you run but there is no harm in being keen and asking the question.

Cheers in advance

Tim

why learn to walk before you can run when what you really want is to race downhill naked on rollerskates lit on fire?

learn to crawl.

yeah i was gonna say exactly that but thought i might get ripped for it.

Ok so i wanna race downhill naked on rollerskates lit on fire --- note: with skydiving or something with a parachute envolved somewhere that is.

Did you notice the links at the top of the page that say "Before you post!" "Getting into BASE" and "My first BASE rig"?

They are subtle clues.;)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

After you're off student status, keep renting gear and begin looking for a suitable used skydiving rig. It should be "freefly" friendly. People at the dropzone will be able to help you understand what is needed.

That rig will not be in anyway suitable for BASE. For now forget about BASE. After you're off student status look into a basic canopy control course (if one is available in your area). A CRW dawg will help a lot when it comes to useful canopy control. Also come back and ask about canopy control drills. There's info out there but it's way over your head at the moment.

The main canopy might be suitable for some ground launching but again, forget about that for a while too. Ground launching is a lot more dangerous than you might think. Also you want a different harness. Carrying an extra parachute up a hill is cumbersome.

Just get yourself off student status and get proficient at skydiving and canopy control first.

Racing downhill naked on rollerskates lit on fire may be fun but it's also not useful for BASE. It is however good for coordination and quick reflexes
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Before you even think about BASE, think about doing accuracy and CReW.... these skills will be something you will have to do some skydiving toward anyway, and you will probably find that your interest in BASE goes away as you get interested in various skydiving skills....

If you are really serious about BASE, once you get your licence, buy a 7 cell F1-11 canopy and start accuracy.... but dont expect to be the cool guy at the DZ....

Good advice guys!!

cheers i know what u mean though i;ve been freestyle snowboarding for 10 years and used to put on lessons for people wanting to learn. They'd go on about getting their shit down in the half pipe before they could even turn...

Anyway, i'll at least get my course sorted first and then maybe pop back here in a year with a bit more experience.

Cheers

Good advice guys!!

you mean, there is no reply here that was not making fun of you for being 'that guy'

I read this somewhere. It works for me.

"here just hold this like this and face that way and jump then thow that and look jorward the whole time and everything will work out just fine"

Rat for Life - Fly till I die
When them stupid ass bitches ask why

Just do it i belive in you,you can do it...

Im off Morphine is THE sh!t....B|

Stay safe
Stefan Faber