norbase

Going BIG

Im considering buying a new canopy for low/subterminaljumps. Im now jumping a vented FLIK242 for terminal. I have lay my eyes on a TROLL DW285..(PIA spec.301)i see morpheus recommend a average body weight 225lbs...my weight is 165lbs(without equipment).Is there someone here with my bodyweight who have experience with this canopy/size?How will that infected on the canopy?..(in turbulence..opening...)I don`t have any experience with such big canopy..i have 80jumps on a TROLL DW245 but this is 40squarefot bigger..
The reason for choising this size is that i can land in more tight area(between big rocks etc)
GAME ON:)

I know a jumper who is very close to that weight under a Troll DW 285 and I think his only concerns seems to be the wind. He has little to no penetration into very light winds. Maybe he will reply with more details.
"When it comes to BASE, I'll never give advice, only my opinion"

my experience is that as you drop into lower wing loadings (eg lower than 0.65 or 0.6) heading reliability seems to reduce all other things being equal. This is partic true for sub terminal and shorter delays.

I weigh 165 and get much better heading perf on my 245 than on my 285 & 280.

Hey

Im 77 kg:s and my friend Per is 67 kg:s

We both hav Flik 293

I have no problem flying or opening my chute.

Though in higher winds (over 8 m/second) There is a chans of flying backwards wich is just like flying forward. only the other way around ;)

Go BIG!!!

/martin - Team Batasten of Sweden
/Martin - Team Bautasten of Sweden

my experience is that as you drop into lower wing loadings (eg lower than 0.65 or 0.6) heading reliability seems to reduce all other things being equal. This is partic true for sub terminal and shorter delays.

I weigh 165 and get much better heading perf on my 245 than on my 285 & 280.

OK! with my old DW245 i done mostly terminaljumps(20+sec) and i found this canopy very reliabily(one 180 thats it!) and the flare was much better than my new FLIK...but maybe this change with less wing loading..im not a experience jumper(only 100jumps)so i will keep this in mind, but i think i will givit a try..
Thanks guys!

Hey

Im 77 kg:s and my friend Per is 67 kg:s

We both hav Flik 293

I have no problem flying or opening my chute.

Though in higher winds (over 8 m/second) There is a chans of flying backwards wich is just like flying forward. only the other way around ;)

Go BIG!!!

/martin - Team Batasten of Sweden

Hey Martin!
Are you jumping your wingsuit with this 293 or do you have another rigg for this purpose..i mean...its must be a lot off drag in this large container..
I have see you fly wingsuit in romsdalen..so if you using this 293 i can see no reason that i will jump my "small"FLIK 242..B|

Hey Martin!
Are you jumping your wingsuit with this 293 or do you have another rigg for this purpose..i mean...its must be a lot off drag in this large container..
I have see you fly wingsuit in romsdalen..so if you using this 293 i can see no reason that i will jump my "small"FLIK 242..

Hey.
I usually fly my old Mojo 260, packed in a just as old Perigee Pro, when I fly wingsuit
. But I have made many jumps with my 293 on wingsuit as well.

There is a lot of talking about drag. And yes there is some drag from a rig, but I have never felt that big of a differens between rigs.

If your going for a big parachute. Do it for safety , for use in areas where you need that extra canopie-time and slow landings. In Places like Norway you wont need that size.

I have 3 rigs.
Flick 293 for tight subterminal stuff
Mojo 260 for slider up stuff
Mojo 220 for terminal tracking and WS FLying
/Martin - Team Bautasten of Sweden

id say good idea. im 62kg (140lbs) and i have a dagger 222 and BlackJack 265

weein for big stuff, big one for wee hucks.

simply rules...

in pounds, add 100 to equate to square footage of your canopy. add 20 if you plan on doing difficult cliffs or buildings. subtract 20 if you plan on antenna jumping with fairly easy landing areas and have to deal with the slightest head wind.

example, 180 pounds = 280 ft^2. 260 for antenna jumping. 300 for dicey cliffs or buildings...
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

simply rules...

in pounds, add 100 to equate to square footage of your canopy. add 20 if you plan on doing difficult cliffs or buildings. subtract 20 if you plan on antenna jumping with fairly easy landing areas and have to deal with the slightest head wind.

example, 180 pounds = 280 ft^2. 260 for antenna jumping. 300 for dicey cliffs or buildings...

Are you talking about pounds with NO equipment(clothes, shoes,rigg,kamera.helmets etc..) or WITH equipment?

simply rules...

Are you talking about pounds with NO equipment(clothes, shoes,rigg,kamera.helmets etc..) or WITH equipment?

That's Shotgun Ray's rule, and it's normally done with naked body weight (no equipment).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

simply rules...

That's Shotgun Ray's rule, and it's normally done with naked body weight (no equipment).

haha...i get it!!:D

you weigh 60 pounds? :P
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174