jkeeling

170 into a Mirage M1?

Does anyone know if it is possible to fit a 170 main, probably a Safire, into an M1 Mirage (G3)? The Mirage website recommends up to a 135, but I've heard of a couple of cases where larger mains have been squeezed into smaller containers. What are the advantages/disadvantages of doing this?

Thanks.

I wouldn't go there. Ii know people put canopies one size larger than the manufacturer recommends into their containers; I wouldn't do that because packing it - especially a new canopy - becomes a bitch. By "overstuffing" the container they are also stretching the main container flaps and putting unneeded stress on the grommets.

You're looking at going two sizes larger than the manufacturer recommends. Why?

Hi you seems to be one of the gear gurus here. What can you tell me about putting a cf2 134 (250 jumps on it and 375 cu in according to Icarus) in a micron 319? I kind of like the shape better than of the 308. Narrower and longer.

thanks
dag

I was able to squeeze a sabre 150 (with a zillion jumps on it) into my Mirage G3/M1 two years ago, but it was very very tight. Right now my fiance has my Cobalt 135 in her Mirage G3/M1, and it fits tight, but isnt stretching anything as I can tell. I have a Cobalt 120 in one of my M1s and it too fits pretty tight. The only canopy I can say fits "medium" in my M1 is my 105 in my other container. If I look at all three side by side, the 135 looks like it packs huge into the container, where as the 105 looks like it fits "just right". Anyways, long stroy short (sorry for the marathon post....lol), I wouldnt attempt to put a 170 into the Mirage M1. Even if you get the canopy in the d-bag, the extra pressure of the dbag squeezed against the lines in the pack tray would make me nervous. Blue skies, Tom

--
My other ride is a RESERVE.

Another issue happens when going from normal 7 /9 cell to X-braced. When I first demoed a couple a X-braced canopies, I went approx 30 sq ft smaller but it was still more pack vol than the stiletto I was then jumping. The first jump, I threw out, waited for the magical bliss of trying a new canopy, and nothing happend. I looked back, the container was open, but the D-bag was still in the container. I hit the side of the container, which fixed that. Point being there is more issues than just pain in the ass packing with going too big. The Manufacturers have a sizing chart for a reason. Stay pertty close to what they say.

my .02
D

I have had an M1 G3, and there is no way a 170 will fit. I had a 135 Samurai in it, and I feel you could get a 150 non-airlocked zp 9 cell in it, but a 170 would be too much.
Now, a 170 F111 or a 7 cell may happen, but it'll still be super-duper tight.
Troy

I am now free to exercise my downward mobility.

I fit my Spectre 150 into a G3 M1 no prob. But this is a 7 cell with around 200 jumps on it. A ZP 9-cell would be a huge bitch (if possible at all), and would probably present safety issues.

Bottom line is if a 170 gives you your appropriate wing loading, don't compromise just to get it into a smaller container. Go with a larger container.

Shane